Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Giving these suckers a try

After my first half marathon I knew I wanted to do another half, and since I had been running for a few years off and on before that with the same running shoes I knew I would need some new ones. I had been interested in barefoot running and how that was supposedly how our bodies were actually made to run, so after some research I knew I wanted to try out some Vibram Five Fingers. REI was having a 20% off sale (I'm all about sales, especially at REI!) so I decided to just go for it. I ended up buying the Bikila VFF which are made specifically for running. When changing to barefoot running you need to slowly transition to it because you end up using muscles that aren't used to being used while running due to the shape and cushion of regular running shoes. You can injure yourself if you're not careful. So it was a slow transition. I was actually partially doing my training for my second half with these shoes, but I ran out of time building up my mileage on these shoes so I just finished out my training with my old running shoes. After the race I took a little break from running (much needed rest) then switched over to just using my Vibrams for running. I love it. It's like I'm a kid again when running. If you've never run barefoot you should go try it...seriously, go right now and try it! Ok, maybe I'm not actually barefoot because I have these suckers on, but there's just too many rocks and sharp things on the ground outside for me to chance running barefoot. Call me a wuss, but I don't care, ha ha. I ran a Halloween 5k in these (pics and a post to come) and it was fun. The only problem is that now that it's getting all cold and snowy outside my feet are a little more exposed. I ran in snow the other day and my feet were not happy about that. I had to buy specific toe socks that keep your feet warmer for cold weather running and for one pair it cost $16! Not cool. But it keeps the little piggies warmer. I'm contemplating getting a treadmill, but running outside is just so much more exhilarating. We'll see how I handle the winter with these shoes. Anyway, my review is that so far I love them! Just try them out sometime, your feet will thank you :)

2 comments:

Toshia said...

When Andrew ran the 1/2 marathon in July I saw a woman cross the finish line literally barefoot. I thought and still think she is insane! These shoes are cool, but to be actually barefoot would scare the crud out of me if I were to step on a rock or piece of glass. No thank you;) Let me know if you still love these shoes after the winter...you know how much it rains here and I hate having cold feet!

Cindy Thomas Munksgard said...

That is too funny that you posted about this. We were at the gym last night and saw a lady wearing those kind of shoes and we talked to our trainer about them. Glad they are working out for you!!!!