Sunday, December 16, 2012

The girls turn 3!

Simone and Scarlet turned 3 on November 19th!  It's weird for me to think that my babies are 3 years old.  I can't help but still call them babies.  When Porter turned 3 the girls were already 3 months old.  Time does fly.  Since they are still young enough to not have best friends or anything we kept things simple for their birthday.  The day before we had dinner at my parents house and my sister and her family came.  I made a simple dinner that I knew they would eat - homemade gluten free (my mom has celiac) mac and cheese with tomatoes and hot dogs, my mom provided a salad and my sister brought a fruit salad.  Simple and yummy.  Then for dessert I made this cake:
 The girls wanted yellow cake with chocolate frosting.  Then to spice things up I added chocolate chips to the cake and the middle had a thin layer of frosting, some cut up raspberries and raspberry jam.  For the topping I got the idea from pinterest to put marshmallows all over.  Pinterest actually had whoppers, but to add more color and pizazz I decided to go with colorful marshmallows.  It looked pretty cool, if I do say so myself.  Simple, but cool.  Didn't like eating it though.  There was just too much going on and I don't even really like marshmallows, but hey, it wasn't for me.


 Three candles on each side for them to blow out.  When they're older I'll probably have to go with 2 cakes.  Or just stick with cupcakes like I did below.


 The girls on the morning of their birthday.  This is a new outfit that they got from Aunt Michelle.


 I just realized that for their previous 2 birthdays I went with cupcakes too.  It's just easier, each girl gets their own.  And this year they picked out what they wanted.  And nope, I didn't make them.  The one on the left is Simone's and Scarlet's is the chocolate one.  We got them from One Sweet Slice, the store that won cupcake wars.  The rest of us got one too, and I have to say they were delicious!


They mostly got princess stuff for their presents, but the main thing was that the day after their birthday we took them to their very first movie in a movie theater.  We saw Brave and I have to say I quite enjoyed it.  And of course so did they.  It was really fun and surreal to be in a movie theater with all my kids.  It was the first of many, I'm sure :)  As the kids get older there are so many new things we can go out and do with them, and many more that I can't wait to do.  Having all of my kids out of the baby phase opens up a whole new realm of possibilities.


During the whole birthday preparation and festivities while the attention was all on the girls Porter kept talking about what he wants to do for his birthday, how it will be all about him and what HE wants.  Apparently this little guy does not like being overshadowed by his sisters.  He certainly loves to be the center of attention.  He has it in his head that he wants everything under the sun for his birthday and his party.  I'm envisioning things getting bigger and more out of hand with each year of birthdays.  I better put a cap on things now because for someone like me who likes to keep things simple and easy, having kids who are getting older seems to be making that more difficult. 

(Side note:  I just read through this post and to me it's kind of boring, ha!  I guess that's just the frame of mind I'm in right now :)  When's my naptime?!)

2 comments:

Dani said...

I can't believe they are three either! And since they are out of the baby phase, it must mean it's time to have another! :) Hope life is treating you all well. Merry Christmas!

Toshia said...

How is it possible that they are 3 already?! What a fun birthday cake. You are an amazing mom and they are lucky to have you;)