http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8VVOCZP4Jc
Warning: gross pictures coming up
The trip didn't quite go as planned. While riding the motorcycles, about 5 days into our trip, I totally ate it going downhill on a dirt/gravel road with the bike landing on my left leg and sliding down the hill for a bit. Of course it was the day where I wasn't wearing long sleeves or jeans, thus I got some nasty road rash. My right leg also got burned on the motor. Stupid me for not wearing protective gear because I was "too hot". NOT a good excuse. I was wearing my helmet and riding gloves though, thankfully. Actually, my left glove got so torn up I had to just throw it away, but my hand thankfully was fine. Jeff went down later too because this downhill part was WAY too steep and had WAY too much gravel/rocks. It should have been paved! Other parts that were steep were paved, this one just should have been too. When he went down his elbow fell right on a rock and tore a big ol hole that needed stitches. We went to a private clinic nearby and the doc stitched it right up. At least none of mine needed stitches, it just covered a larger area. The three parts on my ankle and the part on my knee were deeper and were on areas that move so that made it hard to walk. After a couple days the inflammation and swelling set in and it was excruciating to have my leg not elevated because all the blood would rush there.
Jeff's elbow...excuse me while I puke.
By the time we were going home the inflammation had set in and it hurt too much to walk, so at all of the airports I was in a wheelchair.
After we got home that's when it got really gross. This picture reminds me of The Walking Dead. The bruising, swelling, and oozing. Yep, gross, and might I add painful. This is a reminder to everyone to ALWAYS wear protective gear when riding motorcycles. Lesson learned!
My leg has healed up pretty nicely now. I should post a current pic...I'll get to that later, ha! I do have some pretty big and gnarly scars. I'm kinda proud of my battle wounds. My knee does still give me trouble, but we also think that a rock is still stuck in there. So I'll always have a piece of Costa Rica with me :)




No comments:
Post a Comment