The race started and, as was to be expected, people kept passing me. I knew that I could physically handle running, except for the possibility of my knee crapping out on me again, so it was killing me having all of these people pass me - actually it was killing my pride - kind of lame, eh? The other day at the running store when I was there to pick up my race packet I found an IT band brace, which is where my problem is, so I bought it. Since I had that handy dandy brace on my knee during the race I felt that it would be okay for me to run a little bit, just so that I am not the last person. So I ran, but only for maybe a mile. It was a lot of uphill so people were getting tired quickly. Once there were a good amount of people walking I started to walk too. Uphill and downhill we went. People would run on the downhill (that is the worst on my knee so I didn't even chance it), then they would be all tired out and walk on the uphill. I have a pretty fast walk so I was just booking it and keeping a pretty constant pace. So people would pass me on the downhill when they ran and I would pass those same people on the uphill. It was kind of amusing. The whole thing was just a nice little hike for me since I wasn't running. As I neared the finish line I ran though, but you gotta. I plan on doing another 10k with Jeff on September 7th and since that one won't be in the mountains, plus it's a few months away, I will definitely be running it.
This wasn't when I actually finished it - all of the people waiting for the 9am start time were crowded around here so I ran in onto the right where the grass is and after they all left I went back up and ran down for the picture, but I was laughing while I was doing it and not taking it seriously so I look kind of lame...and this was the best picture.Since I had to stop training for the marathon time had run out, so my sister and I decided to do a 1/2 marathon instead - the Niantic Bay Half Marathon in Connecticut on September 21, 2008. That will still give me time to heal and since training for a half marathon is easier than for a marathon I feel that this should be no problem. A half marathon is just 13.1 miles so I'm not too worried about the training. Right before my knee hurt this past time I was easily running 6 miles. Plus the 10k yesterday was 6.2 miles uphill and downhill and it was a piece of cake so if it comes down to it I can easily walk the half marathon, but I am determined to run it. I begin officially training tomorrow. I will only be running 3 days a week to make sure that I have a day before and a day after each run to rest my knee. Plus I now have my IT band brace and I have been going to the chiropractor to have work done on it and am doing tons of stretches, so things should go pretty smoothly. Wish me luck!!


6 comments:
Looks like fun. You are sort of making me want to try to run again. I just get so bored. It is probably my least favorite type of cardio, but I always go back to wishing I enjoyed it.
Good for you. It looks like you had a good time. I love your fake finish line picture!
Good for you! I could never run so many miles. Just the 1/2 marathon sounds like too many. I'll stick to the 2 miles I run with Nicole, Erin and Honi.
So after all my years of running I finally rubbed off on you. j/k I know training for long races is all your will power. You're pretty ambitious going for the full marathon. I was going to wait till I was done having kids, but you give me new hope.
Congrats Amy! If Amy with a crapped up knee can do it then why not me? Hey so you guys are flying into L.A? Too bad. Thought you could stay with us on your way up or down. Perhaps next time.
Vicky
Holy cow you are amazing. I wish that I could run a 10K. Oh and I'm with you on Breaking Dawn, I'm counting down the days!
Post a Comment