Thursday, April 2, 2009

Recent randomness

I've had my haircut now for about a week, and I was pretty iffy about it the first few days, but I have come to terms with it and have come to kinda like it. I've played around with it and found things to do with it. The only drawback is that I actually have to do something with it for it to look good, so no more laziness for me.

Last week I started to officially potty train Porter. For over a year we always put him on the toilet before his bath and he goes pee, and any other time we put him on the toilet he goes pee, we just didn't do it regularly, except for before his bath. So he has known how to go pee on the potty for awhile, it's just getting him to go there himself and hold it until he gets there that I need to work on with him. I wanted to potty train him well before we moved at the end of the year because I didn't want him to totally regress, plus I figure the longer I wait the more rebellious he will get, so I might as well start it while he is still in the sweet "I want to please mommy" phase. So I set a date and started to prepare. I read the "Toilet Train in Less Than a Day" book, researched online, got all of the supplies, prepped him for the big day and made sure he was ready. I was feeling good. I still had to work on the day I was doing it, but I made sure to schedule things on different days and try to keep the day as clear as possible.

The day came. I kinda had a headache and my lower back hurt, but after so much anticipation I wasn't going to let that stop me. Well, I should have. Because I wasn't feeling totally up to par I was, shall we say, a little less than patient. Now, with potty training you need to be patient. Porter was totally catching on and we were making progress, but he likes to kind of move slow sometimes, and my patience was wearing thin. So I think I kind of scarred him a little because I got pushy. Totally a no no. What's funny is that the day before and the day after this particular day I felt perfectly fine. Go figure. Anyway, I ended up slowing down the process and instead of making it a less than one day process I am making it a few weeks long process. So we are still doing it and he has his good days and bad days. Today was a really good day, so we are almost there. He is just afraid to go poopy on the potty. Also, what's cool about the book I was following is that Porter can do the whole process himself: he turns on the light, opens the lid, pulls down his pants, sits on the potty, does his thing, gets off, pulls his pants up, flushes the toilet, and turns out the light. I unfortunately have to help him wash his hands because we don't a stool tall enough.

That stool is actually the potty chair we had bought. It's the kind that you can take out the bowl and empty it into the toilet. He got the empty part down and I loved how it was just his height, but we had been using the little toilet seat on the big toilet for over a year, so he said he wanted to use that instead. As long as he's going pee on the potty I don't care what he uses. I just had to teach him how to climb onto it and scoot himself back.


The other day Porter was playing with his Mr. Potato Head and kept putting the little green hat on his head. So I told him to make sure he holds still so it stays on his head. A few minutes later I noticed I couldn't hear him playing anymore. So I peaked around the corner and saw him just sitting on the couch very still with the hat on his head. Funny - he actually took what I said to heart.


Last night I watched Megan and Erika Wagner so that Steve and Nicole could go to the temple. Good times - Porter had tons of fun. He really loves hanging out with kids older than him.


You get Porter in a room with a bunch of girls and he goes crazy with all the new girl stuff. He has like eight necklaces on here, that furry thing with a flower in it on his head, pushing around a grocery cart, and he was having a blast playing with the tea set. As a side note, ever since I got that doll that wets for potty training Porter has to sleep with it. He just loves his Baby Doll. I love how secure Porter is with his masculinity:)

1 comment:

Linds said...

Cute! Girl's stuff is just so much fun! And good luck with the potty training. I hope it continues to be a positive experience.