Saturday, July 25, 2009

Big Boy Success!

We have had potty training success - Porter is my little Big Boy! He has been going pee pee on the potty before his bath since he was about one. Then shortly after he turned two I decided to do the full on potty training. I read books, did my research, picked a day to start, bought all the supplies and was ready to go. That morning I woke up with a headache but decided to go ahead with potty training anyway - bad move. The headache gave me little patience so I was a little hard on poor Porter. So I slowed it down and took a little break. Then I got pregnant and became way too sick to care about potty training. But I wanted Porter to be trained well before the babies came so that I wasn't changing 3 sets of diapers. So I decided after we moved, I finished working and I got over the morning sickness that I would try it again, but take a much calmer approach.

So I started this past Thursday. He was older now and more ready so I think that made the whole process a lot smoother. He had 2 small accidents in his big boy underwear on Thursday, then yesterday he had no accidents. I still put training pants on him during his naps and a diaper at night, but those times don't count. He is actually doing pretty good during those times too - he can hold it pretty well. But all day Thursday and Friday he didn't poop at all. For Porter that's not normal - he'll poop at least once a day. Then this morning I got him up, had him go pee on the potty and put on his big boy underwear again and started making breakfast. While I was making it he kept standing funny so I asked if he needed to go potty and he said no. Then he came up to me and said he needed to go poopy on the potty. I stopped what I was doing and we immediately went to the toilet. He just sat there at first but I could see he was trying. Then I brought in some food and a toy so he would stay on the toilet, and lo and behold the little guy totally pooped on the potty. I've never been so excited in my life to see someone poop!

Now, during this whole potty training process I promised Porter that when he went poop on the potty I would get him a big treat. So this morning right after the awesome incident I took him to the store and let him pick out his treat. He picked a package of chocolate Hostess cupcakes. So, that's what he had for breakfast - hey, it was an exceptionally special occasion. He hasn't had any accidents today yet, so I think I can officially say that my little guy is potty trained!

"I'm a big boy!!"


Yummy treat - good choice.


"I earned this reward!"


Nothing but excitement to eat his special treat. He was sweet enough to let me even have a few bites :)


My dainty little eater.

**Edit later that evening - I jinxed myself with this post because later that night Porter pooped in his underwear, and let me tell you, it was not fun. Oh well, guess it was bound to happen. Potty training can't be that easy can it.

1 comment:

Nicole W. said...

That's awesome Amy! Celebrate the successes for sure!!! he is such a sweet boy and you're such a GREAT MOM! I keep forgetting you're so close by now...we can hang out with no excuses, yay!