Monday, July 27, 2009

The weirdest feeling

So last night when I was cleaning up the kitchen after dinner I was wiping down the counters with those sanitizing Clorox wipes. I got to the stove, which is metal, and was wiping that down too. Apparently while doing that my arm also touched the metal part of our convection oven that sits right next to the stove. Holy crap, I felt the weirdest thing in my entire life, and proceeded to let out a blood curdling scream. Jeff came running out wondering what had happened. But I was having the hardest time explaining it. I can only explain it as my arm uncontrollably shaking like it had just been put through some kind of sonic wave like thing - crappy explanation, eh? I had to keep checking my arm to make sure it was still there and in one piece. It was such a powerfully overwhelming feeling. I think the scream came because I was totally taken by surprise and had no idea what was happening to my arm. I did not want to go back to that area at all, so I had Jeff try to reenact what happened so that he could see what I was talking about and to see if it would happen again. He did it and it happened, then he did it again and it happened again, but stronger. He didn't like the feeling either, so I'm not sure why he tried it a second time - he kept asking himself that too.

We think that there is an open wire or something in our convection oven, so we unplugged that sucker until we can figure out how to fix it. It's a bummer because the oven is red and I love it. When I touched the metal of the stove with a wet cloth and then touched the metal on the convection oven it sent an electric current through my arm. Now I am not going anywhere near that sucker. So we both got electrically shocked. I always thought that when you get big time shocked it would just be a stronger feeling of what you feel when someone drags their feet on the carpet and then touches you...but no, it felt NOTHING like that. I never want to feel that again so I plan on staying away from any possibility of ever getting shocked in the future - as if I didn't already plan on that, I just REALLY plan on that now.

7 comments:

Holly Lujan said...

CRAZY!! When I was a kid I was plugging something into the wall and there was a spark and I totally got shocked. I remember it scared me SO much. It is the strangest feeling.

MotherBeck said...

our toaster shocked me once as a teenager. I touched the toaster and the next thing I knew my other arm was sticking straight up in the air! It freaked me out!

Shaun and Lindsey Reynolds said...

Hey, be more careful! You are carrying twin girls. Just kidding! I know you are being a wonderful host for them. =)

Hayley Hatch said...

Yikes! I got shocked one time at my grandparent's cabin. It was awful. I felt like even after I pulled my arm away, it was still being shocked! Ouch!
Hey email me and I will send you an invite to view our blog. My email is hayleybrooke@gmail.com

lynz said...

what the hey!!! that is crazy! it makes me wanna stay away from my oven that's for sure :) hope your arm is holding up ok! oh and....jeff tried it twice?!?!? haha

Linds said...

Ew, I hope you get that all figured out soon.

Matthias and Jenn said...

I was wondering why it was all catawampus (I looked it up, that's how you spell it) on the counter. It is such a strange feeling. One time I grabbed an electric fence because I didn't realize that was what it was. Totally weird feeling.