Saturday, July 25, 2009

Moving

I hate moving. I forgot how much I hated moving until we actually moved. The packing leading up to it was a tad overwhelming, but I was just so excited to soon not have to be working that I overlooked that part. But when we started to move I realized how much crap, I mean stuff, we have. We have lived in Portland for 4 years and this is the 6th place that we have lived in. I know, way too many different places. Since we've been married this is the 8th place. And when Jeff is done with school at the end of the year we will once again be moving. I'm not looking forward to that at all. At least I won't be pregnant, but instead I will have two little babies.

The day we moved things went pretty smooth - we had lots of help, thanks to the awesome Elders Quorum. Having a toddler while moving can get tricky though, as you can see from Ports getting stuck here in his crib.


Let me break down why we've lived in so many places in Portland. We first moved to Portland into Sandstone Manor. Then I quit my job at the law firm because it wasn't making me happy and decided to manage apartments (huge pay cut, not sure what I was thinking) because I wanted to work from home, so that meant moving. But the place I started managing (Zachary Park) wasn't done being built yet so I had to live in a temporary apartment until the manager unit was ready. Then the manager unit was ready so we had to move again. That job ended right before Porter was born and we moved into Red Rose Manor. While we were there we became the assistant managers at the property, then the current managers bought a house and moved so we decided to take on the position of managers at the property, but mostly because the manager unit was a house with a backyard and a garage - how could you pass that up? So the house was number 5 move in Portland. That place was actually the longest we have lived in a place since we have been married - we lived there 21 1/2 months. Before that we had lived in Anaheim, CA for 19 months which seemed like a long time. When we realized I was pregnant with twins there was no way I was going to keep managing apartments, so we moved once again back into Sandstone Manor. We probably just should have stayed here when we first moved to Portland, but oh well. So that brings us to now. I know we won't be moving again until January, but with this move fresh in my mind I am totally dreading that move.

Since we lived in the house at Red Rose Manor for so long and it was a bigger place, we acquired more things to fill up the place. Now we are definitely regretting that. I have already gotten rid of lots of stuff, but we will be spending the next few months getting rid of more stuff because we don't want to move all this crap again. If I wasn't pregnant the move probably wouldn't have been so bad. But I am very happy to be here and to not be working anymore. The first Monday not working I actually woke up feeling free and peaceful knowing that no one was going to bug me at my house and that I could do whatever the heck I wanted whenever I wanted to - such a wonderful feeling. I love being able to put all of my energies into my family and being only a stay at home mom, not a stay at home mom who is also working at home. Porter finally gets my full attention, which he definitely needs. Now I just need to finish putting this house together then I can start preparing for the arrival of the babies. I just need to not think about moving again or I will get all annoyed. With work done, the move mostly over, and the crappy sickness part of pregnancy over I can start doing the things that I actually want to do. Life is good, so I am going to just enjoy it!

No comments: