Sunday, January 8, 2012

Zombie run

I realized I have done 10k races and half marathons but never a 5k. So when my brother in law told me about a 5k zombie run that was last October I had to sign up. Seriously, how fun does that sound? When registering for it you have to sign up as a zombie or human. The humans would start 2 minutes before the zombies. The idea of being chased rather than chasing sounded better to me so I signed up as a human. Turns out that about 70% of the people signed up as zombies. Go figure. And after being there I'm totally going to be a zombie next time. People got really into it.

The crappy part is that the month before was my half marathon so I basically stopped really running after that and didn't prep much at all for this one. It was only a 5k but I should have at least been doing some kind of training. But after training for the half I just got lazy. And then the zombie run was in the afternoon, which I am totally not used to for races, so I kind of forgot about doing any prep and ate a completely heavy and unhealthy lunch right before the race which left me wanting to hurl the whole time I was running. Smart. And it turned out being pretty warm for the race when I thought it would be more chilly out so I was roasting during it. Basically I completely crapped out in my prep for this one. I should go into every race with the mindset of doing my best. Oh well, you live and learn. This was mostly for fun anyway.

Also, another crappy things was that they weren't too organized on the route so most of the humans ended up running more than 3.1 miles - yep, I was one of those. Not that running more was a problem because I had just ran 13.1 the month before, but the route was just a little confusing, which got annoying at times. I think they lived and learned here too.

The zombies taking off.


You get an idea of how some of the people dressed. But it seriously got even better.


This was the first race I did with my vibrams. It went well. I'm still happy with my choice.

Well, I survived the race, no zombies ate me. What's funny is that the race shirts you get said "Zombies don't eat fast food". So true, on many levels :)

4 comments:

Gordita said...

I am laughing so hard at "Zombies don't eat fast food." I'm glad you are fast food.

Amy said...

I agree with Kris :o)

Jessie said...

That sounds SO fun Amy!! hahaha I totally want to do one!

Amanda said...

A Zombie Run sounds like a lot of fun. I love reading about all the running you do. It inspires me. Maybe one of these days I'll follow suit.