Sunday, December 27, 2009

Purple mouths and the sickies

Breastfeeding has been nothing short of a challenge this time around. I've had basically every issue you can have while breastfeeding, and the girls are only 5 1/2 weeks old. It started out with my milk not coming in and the girls losing a ton of weight, causing us to stay an extra day in the hospital. Then when we went home we had to rent a scale so that we could constantly weigh them to see how much they gained and to see how much breast milk they got (by weighing them before nursing and then right after) and we had to keep track of EVERYTHING. The feedings consisted of me nursing them, then supplementing with formula (with the help of my parents and Jeff), followed by me pumping to up my supply, having to constantly clean the bottles and the pumping supplies, and all of that took so much time that I felt like we were always feeding the girls and never sleeping. My milk supply is mostly pretty good now. Along with the milk supply issue I have also had a clogged duct, mastitis, sore/cracked nipples, and most recently thrush. With Porter I never got thrush so this was new for me. My nipples hurt a ton (sorry if that's too much info), and poor Simone has the worst diaper rash. With thrush part of the treatment is gentian violet, which makes the babies mouths, and my nipples, purple. Here's what it looks like:

This was the first day we did it and we were apparently pretty messy. That stuff gets everywhere.


We did a little better with the side that Scarlet was on. By now we've got it down so just their lips get purple and they stay that way all through the next day. It's like we have two little gothic girls with dark lipstick.


Along with the fun breastfeeding issues Porter has been sick for like 4 days now. He hasn't been sick for almost a year and this one has hit with a vengeance. Poor little guy has a fever, endless snot, a nasty cough and sour throat. He feels miserable. He even asks to go to bed early and to take naps. Jeff hasn't been feeling well either. I seem to be fine and the girls are mostly fine - Scarlet has had a snotty nose, but nothing too bad. But earlier today in the span of 10 minutes Jeff sneezed, then Porter, then Scarlet, followed by Simone. I was the only one who didn't. Hopefully everyone gets better soon. Jeff's mom left yesterday so I am very grateful that Jeff doesn't have school or anything this week.

Poor little sicky.

10 comments:

Jessie said...

Amy, I'm glad you are back writing blog post! (Nothing againt Jeff!) I just like your humor, lol
Gothic grls, funny. The same thing happened over here. Sophia, John and Elijah all got sick with a stomach flu and I was the only on that didnt get it. Maybe HF knows that the family would fall apart if MOM got sick too!
The girls are cute even with purple mouths :)

2 weeks tll the move eh?? SO EXCITING!!! Good luck, youll be in heaven back in a home not an apartment!
take care!
Jess

Gordita said...

Your family has a lot going on with the feedings, and Christmas, and moving, and being sick. I hope everyone feels better soon.

Pamela said...

Hi, I found your page through my friend, Allison. Your twins are adorable! I'm sure the last thing you want is advice from a complete stranger, but I was going to tell you that you can put a little Vaselline on the babies lips before they nurse. This should help reduce the staining from the gentian violet. You may have already tried this, but I thought I would pass it on.
Anyway, hope everyone feels better. I hope I haven't totally weirded you out by posting a comment :) I promise I am totally normal! Just a bit of a blog stalker, I guess :)

ProudPapa said...

And those're among the best pictures I've seen of each girl, large (love the ability to click into full-size), shoulders up. I imagine away the purple and admire how you got both of them with the same expression (concerned, knitted brows) and remark on our clever, talented children.

What's thrush? Never mind. I'll google it.

And your family just has H1N1 -- confirmation of the over-hype. Saves you having to get the shot -- or at least makes academic your disinclination thereunto. And, of course, you're exposed, yourself, and now immune with no symptoms (knock on wood).

Alyssa Phair said...

Oh no! That much breastfeeding AND a sick toddler :( Hope everything gets easier from here on out! Does Porter have a cold or that dreaded swine flu? Whatever it is, I hope YOU don't get it! I'm sad you're moving soon but I'm excited for you to finally be in your own house!! Everyone will get better soon and then you'll be moved!
-Alyssa

lynz said...

dang nab it darlin - sounds like you guys have had a rough go at things around there! nice work on hanging in there though, and fingers crossed that you and the girls stay healthy :)

Vicky said...

Sounds awesome. Seriously- I went through that with Lenore (minus the scale and mastitis) and if I have to do it again then I am not sure that I will breast feed. My supply never came in right. As I recall- you had Porter on your boobs for like 45 min. I was lucky if I could get Lenore to feed for 15. Grateful to be pregnant, not excited about twins, though. Now I am really wishing you guys were closer.

Hayley Hatch said...

AMY!
Let me just say, WOW! You are amazing! Between all of your breastfeeding issues - each of which I experienced with Logan and am SO SORRY you are going through now - and having a sick toddler and hubby - WOW!
Gabe has been a tough baby - he has reflux and spends a lot of his life uncomfortable. But whenever I start to feel sorry for myself, I think about you and all that you have going on with twins and a toddler and I know I need to suck it up and put on my "big girl panties" so to speak :)
I am so very proud of you. I also wanted to offer some advice about the thrush - are you treating you and the babies? I find this is really important or it seems to go back and forth between mom and baby.
Take care and keep the updates coming when you can!

Linds said...

Geez! I hope you all get better soon and that you can get into the swing of things soon.

The Hill Family said...

Yikes!! I'm so sorry; I hope everyone is doing better! BTW, I love that Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby book...it was the most helpful book! The thing I like best is it talks about sleep at different ages so you can use it for your girls and Porter. I'm sure I will be brushing up on it soon!