Saturday, December 18, 2010

What a year!

Now that the girls are almost 13 months I'm finally getting around to posting their 1 year stats and taking a look back at when they were born. I also never posted anything after they were born about their birth or anything...I was a tad busy. So I'm finally going to do it.

Here's the post about how we found out we were pregnant with twins. I had to switch to a doc because my midwife wouldn't take twins. I tried to find a midwife in the area who would take twins but the only place I found didn't take my insurance and would only deliver twins at home. I'm ok with the thought of birthing at home, but with twins it made me nervous. So since I was stuck with a doc I knew my chances of having a c-section were higher. Lo and behold the babies weren't positioned well so I did end up having to have a c-section, which scared the crap out of me because I had never had surgery before and I HATE needles. Baby A (Simone) was footling breech and Baby B (Scarlet) was transverse, so no hope of any doc letting me go naturally. Whatever, I accepted my fate. And it went pretty well, considering. My only real complaint was that they had scheduled the c-section for 7:30am, we had to be there by 5am, so of course I couldn't sleep at all because of the anticipation. My awesome parents had flown in to take care of Porter while I was in the hospital.

Because of the whole stupid H1N1 scare I could only have 2 visitors the entire time I was in the hospital, and they were Jeff and my mom. My c-section was on a Thursday and I ended staying until Monday because the girls had lost a lot of weight and I wasn't producing enough milk for both babies. That whole issue made everything even that much harder. I was doing everything possible to increase my milk supply. It was absolutely exhausting! I had wanted to give up nursing them many times. But I knew it was best for them. And I have sensitive nipples (TMI, I know) so that made everything even that much worse. Plus I was dealing with recovering from a c-section so life was crazy. Oh, and add on to that that I found out I had skin cancer that required surgery which involved a skin graft so I couldn't even pick the girls up for over a week, Jeff graduated from chiropractic school, we moved out of state, and Jeff started a new job. So needless to say the first few months of the girls' lives were absolutely hectic. In fact, I don't even remember a lot of it. Dealing with a newborn is hard enough, but make it two newborns at once and it's a complete circus. I remember thinking that things were hard when Porter was a newborn but now after having twins it seems like having one would be a piece of cake! Although I know it's not, but dang it was hard with twins. Anyway, enough babbling, now let's take a walk down memory lane through pictures:

My sweet girls born November 19, 2009. Simone at 8:03am and Scarlet at 8:05am. Those were the longest two minutes of my life.



Proud Dada! Simone was 5lbs 9oz and Scarlet was 5lbs 2oz. My goal was to have them both over 5lbs, which I had heard was hard for twins, so I was glad that they both were.



First time holding my babies. Because of the c-section I couldn't sit up yet. Having given birth both vaginally and by c-section I would hands down pick vaginally any day.



You can never get too many newborn cuddles. Looking back at these pics makes me miss holding a newborn. Don't get the wrong idea or anything because I am not getting pregnant any time soon. I'm still recovering from the last time :)



Holy cow that is adorable!



There's no such thing as too many pictures of babies.



It was just the sweetest thing when they were so little and they were snuggled up next to each other sleeping. What makes me sad is that I was so sleep deprived and hormonal back then that I don't feel like I was able to enjoy these moments.



Here are my little one year olds! Boy are they little bundles of energy. They are both crawling all over the place and walking along furniture. Porter didn't officially walk until he was 16 months old so I'm not expecting the girls to walk any time soon. But they are into everything! Definitely keep me on my toes :) We didn't get a real Christmas tree this year because I knew it would be a disaster. So we just have a small one that's up on a table. They both sleep and eat great. I'm still nursing them and they eat whatever food we eat. By their birthday Simone had 2 teeth and Scarlet had 7. They are at an age where they can play with Porter a little. He loves playing with his sisters. He'll even ask when they will be getting up so he can play with them. He will sometimes play a little rough, but all in all they all love each other. It's the cutest thing seeing them all play together. I'll post in the future more details about each girl - this post is just getting a tad long:) Oh yeah, here were their stats when they turned one:

Simone
Weight - ~20lbs (25-50%)
Height - 28.5in (25%)
Head - 18in (50-75%)

Scarlet
Weight - 18.5lbs (10%)
Height - 29.25in (50%)
Head - 17.75in (50%)

As a whole they are still smaller than average, but their percentages have definitely increased over this past year. Oh, randomly I was just thinking about this, but whenever we are out in public people think that they are either both boys or that one of them is a boy. My question is which one do they think is the boy?? They never answer that question. The girls are also almost always wearing pink so I don't know what those people are smoking.


Sweet Simone's latest thing is that she always puts these goggles on. They are Jeff's old swimming goggles that are missing one of the lenses, but she just loves these things.



He he!



Cute little Scarlet - how can you not just love this face!

1 comment:

Eric & Penny Kunz Family said...

Amy you are a great Mom! What cute little girlies.