I read the books earlier this year, and just like a little high school girl I was giddily excited to see the movie, especially since it was filmed here in Portland. Knowing that I had the absolute perfect film version of the book in my head I tried to go into the movie without high expectations, which I felt I did. So I saw the movie opening day with Jeff, who by the way enjoyed it - he hadn't read the books but he was just curious what all the hype was about. Well, after reading other people's views of the movie and how they loved it I felt I needed to watch the movie again to get a second opinion, because I didn't really like it. Now hang on, before you get your panties in a bunch let me explain. I did watch the movie again today and I will say that I did enjoy it more today, but that's probably because I prepped myself to be in the mode to try to overlook my complaints and just enjoy the movie.So when I first saw it I can only explain how I was feeling as being uncomfortable. I felt that the interactions between the characters were a little awkward. I know that there is supposed to be a lot of tension between Bella and Edward, but it was oddly too much and made me uncomfortable. I know they didn't have tons of time to tell the whole story, but I felt that they didn't build the relationship enough. I know, I know, I'm just being picky. I also didn't really like the choices in actors either. I can say that the only ones I am actually definitely okay with were Bella, Emmett, and Esme, although I know that a lot of people would disagree. But I would like to say that Bella was a little too emotionless and too much like a loner, except at the end in the hospital when she was annoyingly showing too much awkward emotion. From watching the movie and seeing how absent and distant her mind was when she was with her friends it made me wonder how she even had friends. I know it's high school and they are supposed to be awkward acting, but I felt that some of the acting was just too awkward. Things didn't flow well.
Anyway, enough of being too critical. All in all, I was able to enjoy the movie today for what it was. I think I just had such high standards because the movie had already played out so beautifully in my head. It was pretty cool to see it played out in real life though. Being the dorky fan I am, I will definitely still be buying this DVD and watching it many times.

3 comments:
I loved it! But it's ok if you didn't. Glad you gave it another shot though. And no movie is ever as good as the book, ever!
Thats funny Amy, because I dont know what is was but i got a MAD crush on Edward after watching it. Don't laugh at me! lol
Fun that you got to go to Utah!
Totally agree with everything you said.
Post a Comment