It was originally just supposed to be for a week. We split the drive there up into two days to make it a little easier on Porter, plus Jeff has clinic on Saturdays until 1pm so we just left after he got home. Then we stayed in Boise that night at a decent hotel (thanks to Priceline) and left the next morning to make it to my parents house in time for Porter's nap. Then it was all about just hanging out as a family and doing fun activities for all the kids. The last time we were all together was Christmas 2007 so it was fun to see all of the younger kids play together now that they were a little older. We did crafts, water activities and a treasure hunt - those were in large part thanks to my awesome sister-in-law Mia and sister Michelle. They even had a surprise baby shower for me! Then on Thursday we went to the Homestead and I got to see some of my aunts, uncles and cousins and we had dinner together, then the next morning we all had breakfast. Check out time was noon so we just hung out, went swimming, played, etc. until noon and then we went back to my parent's house.
The Saturday afternoon after the Homestead we always have a little reunion that is for my mom's mom's family. There weren't many people at that one this year. Two of my siblings and their families had to leave that morning so they weren't able to go. As my family all started to go back to their own homes and Jeff and Porter and I were getting ready to leave the next morning I just wasn't ready to go home. One of my sisters and her family lives near my parents and another sister and her two kids were going to be staying in Utah for another week, so after discussing with Jeff we decided that I would stay in Utah for another week with Porter and Jeff would drive home the next day by himself. I was totally not happy about Jeff driving the 12 hours home by himself, but he said he didn't mind (he hadn't been looking forward to a solid 12 hour drive with a toddler who was newly potty trained) and he knew I wanted to stay. Normally when we go to Utah I always have a job I have to go back to so I never get the opportunity to stay, but this time I didn't have a job and I only had one child to take on the plane with me (instead of three in a few months) so now was the best time for me to be able to stay. So I was going to be able to hang out with my parents and two of my sisters for another week. I was totally excited. And Porter was having so much fun with his cousins that I knew he would love it too. So it was settled.
Then Sunday morning came when Jeff had to leave. Holy cow, I was an emotional wreck. I kept crying all morning. I had to avoid talking to anyone because when I started to talk I would cry. What a wuss, eh? I blame the dang pregnancy hormones. When Porter was a baby I had been apart from Jeff for a week, but other then that we've only been apart for a few days here or there. I was totally worried about Jeff driving home by himself and I don't know why. He was completely fine. Oh well, I'm just a worry wart, thanks to my mom :)
It was a fun week. We went to a farm, swimming, playgrounds, and a museum. I even got to finish a book. It was good to get to spend so much time with two of my sisters. It would have been totally awesome if my whole family was able to stay that whole time. I barely get to see my family so any chance I get I just love it. But by the end of the week I was definitely exhausted and ready to go home. And Jeff was ready for us to come home. He was totally bored. I guess that Porter and I are just fun and exciting people :) When we flew in Jeff met us inside the airport to help with the luggage and as soon as I saw Jeff I totally got all teary eyed - man I am such a girl. I was just happy to see him. Of course we love each other, but he is also my best friend and who doesn't just love hanging out with their best friend. And Porter was glad to see his Dada! When we got home I walked into a nice clean house and these were on the counter:
Pretty, aren't they? It's good to be home. For the next few days after we got home Porter kept asking to play with his cousins. I felt bad for the little guy. He had built in playmates whenever he wanted, now he was just stuck with mom and dad, and we're apparently not as fun. That first day home he kept coming to me whining because he was used to something fun always going on and me cooking or checking my email isn't very fun to him - go figure. But I do want to say a big ol thanks to my siblings, and especially to my parents, for putting up with us. We had fun and can't wait until the next time when we can all get together again - hopefully next summer, right??

1 comment:
Sounds like so much fun. I love getting together with family.
Post a Comment