Wednesday, June 2, 2010

6 months!

2 weeks ago my babies turned 6 months. The time has gone by quickly, yet slowly...hmm. Anyway, here are the stats:
Simone:
Length - 25 in. (10-25%)
Weight - 13.2 lbs. (<5%)
Head - 16 in. (5%)

Scarlet:
Length - 25 3/4 in. (25-50%)
Weight - 13.8 lbs (5-10%)
Head - 16.5 in. (25%)

Scarlet used to be our little runt, but apparently all the effort I've been putting into fattening her up has been paying off. So although Simone looks bigger, Scarlet's actually bigger. Go figure. They've been eating solids for over a month now and it's going pretty well. They've had rice cereal, oatmeal cereal, peas, green beans, carrots, sweet potato, pears, banana, applesauce & avocado. Scarlet had a hard time with carrots at first, but is fine with it now, and both girls don't like avocado. Shortly after starting them on solids I was able to stop supplementing Scarlet with formula so it's all breastmilk now, yay!



Simone is such a sweetheart. The only nickname we've come up with for her so far is Spimoni, but we're not really diggin in. We'll have to think of a better one. Simone is mostly chill, but when she wants something she wants it and now. When she was a younger she had the worst cry - it was like she was dying or something. It was piercing. It has calmed down now. But her cry is definitely different than Scarlet's. It's hard to explain, but maybe it's a little more throaty. Simone was first to roll over and has more muscle control. She's my stomach sleeper. She'll be sitting on her own any day now. She's very grabby. If she sees something, anything, she wants it. It takes a little more work to get her to smile (not by me, of course :)), but it's such a cute little smile. She's really gassy...I'm sure she will love to hear that part :) Simone's the better sleeper, always has been. They both sleep through the night and nap fine, but you put Simone down and she's out for the count until I get her up in the morning. Scarlet is a little more high maintenance. Simone has always been such a good nurser and will get on there like nobody's business and isn't easily distracted. When I'm feeding her solids she has her mouth wide open ready to eat and gets so excited that her arms shake - it's the cutest thing.



He he. Simone makes a ton of faces. In fact, her normal face isn't really her normal face because it's always contorted into something else. Jeff already deleted all the really good funny face pics.



Cute little Scarlet. The nicknames she has so far is Scarlati, and then our favorite is Scrappy Coco, or just Scrappy for short (if you've seen You Don't Mess With the Zohan then you'll know where we got it.) When the girls were first born Scarlet was more fussy/needy, then around when we moved and for the first few months of living here it switched to Simone, but now for the past month or two Scarlet's been the fussy/needy one again. I think it might stay that way. I like to just call her spunky/spirited. My mom says it's because of her name. As a newborn she had the cutest little cry, and the cuteness was emphasized by Simone's deathly cry. Now her cry is definitely bigger and she will do this screeching thing now. She's been rolling over for a few weeks now, but still doesn't like waking up on her stomach. She prefers to sleep on her back or side. She doesn't have as much muscle control, but I would say that she is excelling more vocally and socially, kinda like how Porter was. When you walk into the room or just look at her she opens her mouth wide with a big ol smile and her whole face lights up. It completely melts my heart. As I mentioned earlier Scarlet is a little more high maintenance when it comes to sleep. She still sleeps through the night and takes good naps, but it takes a little more soothing. She's always been my little spitter upper. Nursing Scarlet in the beginning was definitely more of a challenge, and even now she doesn't open her mouth as wide. She's more easily distracted while nursing. Even with solids she doesn't open her mouth as wide, but she's still very eager, she just shows that vocally by screeching or making some other noise until I give her her next spoonful of food.



Cutest crooked toothless grin I've ever seen.



These girls look nothing alike. Jeff and I just laugh when strangers ask if they are identical. People say Simone looks more like Jeff and Scarlet looks more like me & Porter. To me they are just both adorable!



Not sure why, but I call the girls my Mimis. I love just watching them do things and figure things out. I love their little hands and seeing their hand personalities (if that makes any sense to anyone else). They are both getting better at holding onto toys to play with them. When they look at or play with something you can see the wheels turning. This is such a fun age as they are growing and coming into their own personalities.



I really do hope the girls grow up being the best of friends. Having a sister is such a fun blessing.

6 comments:

Hayley Hatch said...

SO SO SO cute!
Hey I was wondering what kind of camera Jeff has. He gets the best pics and I know a lot of it is the kids :) but I was just curious...
You seem to be adjusting very well to having twins and a 3 year old! The girls couldn't be any cuter! And Mr. Ports too! ;)

Jessie said...

Awwww, they are so stinkin cute!!
6 months already??? Wow

Jenni said...

How cute!

Alyssa Phair said...

They are so dang cute!! Simone totally reminds me of Peryn. Peryn's the chubby cheeked child who makes the funniest faces. It sound like Simone's personality is Peryn to a T. How funny. They are adorable and it sound like though a handful, they're incredibly entertaining.
-Alyssa

lynz said...

oh they'll be the best of friends alright! and the best of enemies at times too, but that makes the friends part even better :) they are so stinkin cute amy and seriously, the cutest toothless grin ever!

Jeff and Amy said...

40d Canon