Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Joys of parenting

At lunchtime I get Porter's lunch all ready and have him eat while I sit down and feed the girls. To keep him occupied I load up his plate because feeding the girls is a little bit of an ordeal. I use a twin nursing pillow which is kind of big and only fits on the couch, so I'm not mobile. Once I'm down and have both girls on I'm hoping to not get up until they are done, and sometimes that can be up to an hour. So for lunch it's easier to have Porter eating and busy so that I can easily just sit and feed the girls. Sometimes that involves Porter playing with his food, but just as long as he is occupied. When Porter was a baby I could easily nurse him and get up if needed or be on the computer doing things, but those were the good old days.

Anyway, Porter has been a little off lately and saying that his stomach hurt but we thought that maybe it was from the other day when him and Jeff were playing around and Jeff picked him up by his legs and Porter pulled a muscle in his stomach. But this morning Porter was whiny, needy and even a little shaky. Once he ate breakfast he seemed better. And this whole time he never had a temperature, in fact his temp was lower than normal this morning.

For lunch today Porter said he only wanted a PB & J and nothing else, which is weird because he always loves to be loaded up with fruit, cheese, pickle, etc. So I served him his sandwich, sat down with the girls to feed them and two minutes later Porter throws up. I had to put the girls down and clean him up. Now that is totally a tease for the girls because here they are ready to eat and I only feed them for two minutes than stop. So of course they both started wailing. Then there is Porter who is NOT happy that he threw up and it's all over the place. While I'm cleaning him up I'm trying not to puke myself because of the stench and the girls are totally crying. After I clean him I ask if he's done and he says he wants to eat some more, so I get him all set up to eat and get the girls on again. Then he says he's done, but turns out he barely ate half of the sandwich. So I make him wait while I get some more food in the girls before I clean him up. Then he just lays on the couch next to me while I finish feeding the girls and says he's ready for his nap. You know a kid doesn't feel well if they ask to go down for a nap. Poor kid. Hope the girls don't get this. I swear, Porter has been sick WAY more in the last 4 months than all the rest of his life. What's the deal?

1 comment: