Friday, March 13, 2009

The Ports

I just wanted to give a little update on what's going on with Porter lately. I want to make sure that I remember these things. Porter talks up a storm all the time - I love it! It's so fun having actual conversations with him. This morning while he was finishing breakfast I was doing stuff on the computer and he was talking away while he was eating. I hate to admit it, but since he is always talking and a lot of that is him just saying the same thing over and over I sometimes tune him out. While I was on the computer I realized I hadn't been listening to him so I stopped what I was doing and he was saying in the sweetest little voice "All done breakfast Mama." Who knows how long he had been saying that before I paid attention. I turned around and he was just smiling all cute like at me. I felt so bad for not paying attention and responding earlier to this sweet little boy!

His imagination is beginning to show. The other day he went up to the bathroom doorknob and, looking through the doorknob lock said "take a picture!". In his world the doorknob was a camera. When the garbage man comes to my property the trash area is right outside Porter's bedroom and he loves watching the garbage man and the garbage truck - he loves anything having to do with trucks. Well, when the garbage truck backs up it does that repetitive beeping. Porter loves that! He makes that beeping noise all the time and makes whatever is by him backup. But his beeping is a more of a throaty noise. He'll make that noise a few times then say "it's backing up!" He'll even do it when he backs up. Or while he's eating toast or something he shapes it into a "boat" or something and makes the beeping sound then says "boat backing up". When the microwave goes off he'll do it then too. I need to get video of it.

For Porter's birthday he got some gift cards to Target and I still wasn't sure to get him with them. But I finally got something yesterday. Let me preface by saying that Porter doesn't really like to color with crayons. Instead he will just play with the crayons and line them up. So I really wanted to get something for him that would make him excited about drawing. At Target yesterday I saw this magnetic black board that had the alphabet and numbers sticking to the blackboard (which is wonderful because the alphabet/letter magnets I had gotten for the fridge are randomly hidden around the house in nooks and crannies like down the heating vents or stuck into the front panel of the dishwasher) with colored chalk to write on the board and on the back is a white board with a pen and eraser. He loved it! He actually was drawing with the chalk/pen and not just playing with them. Jeff thinks he doesn't really like crayons because he doesn't push hard enough to see anything. So hopefully this toy will get him excited about writing. Here's pics of all the fun:

His scrunched up "say cheese" for the camera face.


Ports in all his sweetness. I find myself just staring at him in amazement sometimes - he is just so precious and I seriously love him more and more every day.


This pic shows more of the magnets plus the chalk, pen and eraser. I didn't get a pic of the white board on the other side.

I try not to do too much work while Porter is awake, but I of course inevitably have to every now and then. It's cute how he just wants to be near me, no matter where I am or what I'm doing. When I need to do work in the office while he's awake I always put on Elmo or something to hopefully keep him distracted for a bit so I can work. I hate having to rely on the TV sometimes to "babysit" him while I'm working, but I only have less than 10 more months of working so it will just have to do until then. But even when he's watching Elmo, which he absolutely LOVES, he will still come into my office with me. I don't really allow too many toys in there and it's not really babyproofed so he is limited on what he is allowed to touch, so he'll just be content playing with some empty boxes next to me until I'm done. It breaks my heart how much he just wants to be with me and play with me but I am too busy with work sometimes to give him the attention he needs. All in due time.



Funny tidbit - right now as Porter was putting his toys away he was standing still between a truck and his little chair saying that he was stuck. I told him he had plenty of room and wasn't stuck. So he moved the chair right next to the truck so there wasn't room anymore and now said that he was stuck. I just had to laugh.

4 comments:

Alyssa Phair said...

Isn't it fun?! Porter is 3 months older than Amelia so he's doing some things that Amelia has yet to do. I was dreading toddlerhood but I totally agree with you! They talk, laugh, and do hilarious things all day long!! The good definitely outweighs the bad when it comes to toddlers!! You give me things to look forward to with Amelia :)
-Alyssa

Joshua and Joy said...

Aren't blogs great! They make the perfect way to journal and share. Versii is still mostly just saying individual words, but sometimes he says them together.

Jessie said...

Ports is such a sweet boy, you are lucky that he plays to nicely while your in your office (sophia on the other hand......lol)
I think he is looking a lot like you! Sophia is excited to play with him tonight :)

Linds said...

He is so cute! He's at such a fun age. I love it when they can start holding conversations with you. It's so fun to hear what's on their little minds.