Saturday, March 21, 2009

Should I be concerned??

In preparing for potty training, which I am hoping to do sometime in the near future, I have been reading books and looking up tips online. I had heard about using a doll that wets to help with the potty training process, but I didn't want to have to go buy one just to potty train and it seemed a little annoying/weird to me. But the more I read the more I was convinced that to truly be able to potty train in a quick fashion I would need to buy a doll that wets. When I am actually done potty training Porter I will explain about the doll, for those who don't already know about it. And Porter already pees on the potty when I put him on it, but the training I'm going to do trains him to be able to do everything all by himself - but more on that later.

Anyway, to prepare him for the big day I wanted to get all the supplies ahead of time to give me time to prep Porter and talk to him about what the things will be used for and to get him excited about it. And these supplies included that stupid doll that wets. I figure I can use it for the training of all future kids, and any girl I have will enjoy it. So at the store we just got the cheapest one. There were other dolls there that were making noise and moving around which was freaking Porter out. When we put the doll we chose in the cart, which doesn't even move or make noise, Porter wasn't too happy about it. But I wanted him to get used to the doll for when I potty train him, so this morning I took it out of the package and showed it to him and he seemed to be okay with it. He even grabbed the doll and then wouldn't let go. Then he carried it around with him, and even wanted it with him while he took a nap. Wait a minute...dolls are girl toys, not boy toys, or am I just being sexist. It is actually pretty cute how he plays with the doll. It makes me think he'll be a great big brother. But Porter playing with a doll...really?? I know, I know, I just need to get over it. Boys are totally fine to play with dolls. I mean, hey, girls play with cars and balls and stuff, right? And Porter still loves all cars and balls, so throwing a doll in the mix won't be too bad. It's good practice for when he has a little sibling. Here's some cute pics of Porter with his new baby doll.



6 comments:

Alyssa Phair said...

That is so cute! He looks thoroughly excited to have that doll!! I was having the same debate about using a doll for potty training. Amelia already tries to have her doll "go potty" on her chair. Of course, nothing happens... Hmmm, let me know how it goes!! Seriously! I've heard from several different places that this is the way to go as well. I hope it works!!
-Alyssa

Linds said...

You have NOTHING to worry about. Who cares if boys play with dolls? He's two years old for pete's sake! If he's 14 and still playing with dolls, then start worrying. I think it's great!!

Stephen said...

Umm, I seem to recall his You and Jeff said his first cries sounded like "I'm Gaay". Way to be the supportive parents! I'm sure you'll be contacting PFLAG soon. I'm totally kidding, whatever works for you to help with the potty training! Let me know how that works.

Jessie said...

No, you shoudn't be worried!! Its just Porter getting in touch with his softer side! How cute :) He will definatley be a sweet big brother. Hey! Sophia plays with sporty things all the time, its normal. PLEASE let me know if that doll is worth buying, I read online that I needed to but one too but dont really want to!

Joshua and Joy said...

He's so cute with that doll! Those pictures are great! I think that everything will be fine. We actually used, "Abu" the monkey from Aladdin. I got him when I was younger and it helped a little.

Clinton and Danielle said...

That is too cute!