
First, I found out that even with coupons Albertsons is still overly priced and I could get things still cheaper at other places. So I decided to just go when there are doubles coupons, which usually is only three of them a week, and just get those three items. Well, that has even proved to be a challenge.
Now, let me back up and explain my feelings about couponing in general. The idea sounds awesome, right? Getting money off of items that you buy, what could be better. So I've talked with friends and checked out many websites that have tips and examples of what they have saved at the store and how to do it. Well, the first hurdle I have run into is that most of the coupons out there are for food that is processed, and we don't buy processed food. That basically means that most things you get in a box/container that has trans fats, sugar, enriched flour or white flour we don't buy, not even cereal or juice. So that right there limits what we can even use coupons for. I have been able to stock up on toiletries, but we are now stocked up so I don't need anything else. We don't need medicine, the make-up I buy I can only get at the mall, Porter doesn't need a butt load of toys or clothes, we are good to go on cleaning supplies and we don't need crap like candles or candy. But what I really wanted to use coupons for was food, but they don't have coupons for the things that we actually buy!!
So, back to Albertsons. I went today to take advantage of the doubles, which expire today, and I took a bunch of coupons so that I could take full advantage of the three doubles they have and I didn't know what they would actually have available of the things I wanted so I wanted options. Well, almost everything I wanted to get they didn't even have. So I was eventually able to find just two things that I could get. But even with the doubles I feel like I could probably just take my manufacturers coupons somewhere cheaper and get a better price. Anyway, I got to the cashier and I didn't have my Albertsons card and the phone number on that card is our old number and I didn't remember it, so the coupons wouldn't work without a card. I was already frustrated because they didn't even have anything that I really wanted and I spent way too long wondering around trying to find stuff at this stupid expensive store, so when he told me that since I didn't have my card I couldn't use my doubles I just walked out. So that's why Albertsons sucks and I will no longer go there.
But I'm trying to not let myself get down about couponing. I have been able to get good deals sometimes, but every week when I go buy the newspaper I just keep hoping that they will have coupons for stuff we actually buy. What would be absolutely AWESOME is if they would have coupons for produce, which is what we buy the most. Sigh. Hopefully I will have better luck in the future.

10 comments:
Walmart will price match which is awesome! There are some restrictions but for the most part it's really nice. Just make sure you bring copies of the other store's ads to prove they are on sale. They won't do buy 1 get 1 free things, and they are kind of picky on price matching meat, but it's saved us a lot of money and time from going to store to store just to get sale items.
What about their frozen vegetables? The BirdsEye Steamfresh are 10/$10 and with a coupon and double they're only .30 each. I'm sorry it's not working out for you! Hopefully the coupons will get better for you. The companies probably figure the super healthy stuff is worth the price so they don't print coupons.
-Alyssa
Good luck with the coupon thing. I haven't been able to make it work. But that is probably because I haven't tried very hard. Then one of my friends, who has four children, told me that coupons are her full-time job. That was really discouraging.
I have a suggestion. I'm sure you're planning on it but I'll reinforce the idea. After you move (it is perfect timing) you should plant a garden and start canning. You can have fruits and vegetables all year long for anywhere from free to cheap. I think that's the only way you're going to be able to cut your produce budget significantly. It takes time and energy but I'm sure you'll love reaping the benefits!!
-Alyssa... again :)
How much are you spending on groceries? Karen and I average between 60-80 a week. I do have to go to at least 3 different places but it's time well spent. I guess my point is, coupons are great but you are correct when you think that you could still probably get the same item cheaper somewhere else even without using the coupon. I also pretty much only buy meat that is no more than 1.99 lb. That means, whole chickens, pork roasts, pork chops, pork shoulder strips, tongue (yum), and tilapia. Good luck!
I have come to pretty much the same conclusion with coupons. The only produce coupons I have ever found are from safeway, and even then it is usually still cheaper just to buy it at Costco!
I've had that same problem with Albertsons: their ads have SOME good deals, but none of those items are actually available at the store. Plus the Albertsons closest to us is really scuzzy, so we never go there anymore. I'd rather buy a few items at a higher price than have to set foot in a gross store that MAYBE has the items I want.
Hey Amy, I feel your frustartion with Albnertsons, I havent been there in forever because I think they are going down hill (actually they are being bought out here)
I actually dont really use that many coupons for the same reasons you dont (prosessed foods etc) but what I DO do is shop the sales. When I grocery shop I normally only buy what is on sale and stock up. If a coupon goes with the sale then extra bonus. The majority of my coupons arte for toiletries, DIAPERS (which Im sure yoiu will be needed a lot very soon) Canned goods, cleaning products and some pantry items like spices etc..
Hope this helps a little!
Jess
sorry for my bad typing!! lol
I find it comforting to see the kinds of foods you like. My mom was a "health food faddist" years before being a health food faddist was the fad -- and I'm 70 and she's 40 years older than that, so that's history that goes way back. Anyway, we (her children) always teased her about her funny ideas, but a few months after Carolyn and I were married, I became increasingly uncomfortable with the food that I was being presented with and I voiced those concerns -- at which point your mother's enthusiasm for cooking sunk to a low depth from which she has never recovered -- and I have since then had largely (if not exactly mostly) food I was comfortable with -- Mom's health food, sort of.
Anyway, somthing in that health-food orientation must have gotten to our children through me -- your mother never was big on it, possibly because of my own luke-warm attitude -- because you, and Karen, and to a bit lesser extent Melinda -- all seem to have an orientation that would make my Mom proud. (Yes, I'm sure your husbands have helped this, but for all three of you to be in that place -- it can't be coincidental nor all your husbands' doing.)
And I find your description of your food choices distinctly comforting. I have had some influence on some of my children, at least.
Post a Comment