Saturday, November 14, 2009

Idaho?

I kept meaning to post about this earlier but kept forgetting. So with Jeff graduating next month (YAY!!!) we will be leaving Oregon. A few weeks back we finally pinned down where we will be moving to. We're moving to Post Falls, ID! It's in northern Idaho about 20 miles from Spokane, WA. I never thought in a million years that I would live in Idaho, but life always has fun little twists and turns to keep things exciting.

Jeff wants to practice a specific chiropractic technique that isn't taught at school, so he needs to work with a doctor, as an associate, who does that technique in order to perfect it. It's an Upper Cervical technique called Blair. There aren't any docs in Oregon or Utah who practice that technique so those places were out for us to move to. There are a ton in California, but, even though that's where we are from, CA is just too expensive and crowded. So we looked into Washington and Idaho. There was a great opportunity in Seattle that we were considering, and I would have loved to live in Seattle, but it's costly to live where the doc up there works and the hours required of Jeff were rather numerous. Plus that doc was looking to open up a practice for us and eventually sell it to us, but that isn't exactly what we were looking for. But that doc is a great guy and it would have been great to work with him.

So then this opportunity comes up with another doc in Post Falls. Jeff communicated back and forth with that doc then went up there to shadow him and see how he ran his office. The trip was a success and Jeff meshed well with the doc. So they started talking associateship details and it turned out that we could make more there than in Seattle, the hours were less (which is fabulous for me cuz I'm going to need Jeff's help with the kids) and it was WAY cheaper to live there then in Seattle. So everything seems perfect! We will most likely be there for about 2 years and then at that time we will have figured out where we would like to settle down and open a practice.

Post Falls is a smaller town then I'm used to so I'm kinda nervous. I'm used to having everything at my disposal, so I don't want to get bored up there. But with 3 kids I guess I can't get bored. Plus it's a family oriented place. We're not exactly sure when we will be moving - that kind of depends on the house that we end up renting (yes, we can totally rent a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with a 2 car garage and backyard for pretty cheap!). Jeff graduates December 12th (Yay, again!) so we will either move right after that or after Christmas. Man, that's soon. But we are way excited! Anyway, that's the update on us.

8 comments:

Alyssa Phair said...

I'm sad you're leaving but I imagine it's pretty nice to envision moving on with your life! No more student world, welcome real world! :) I'm sure you'll enjoy Post Falls for the two years you'll be there. Maybe when Jeff is done you'll move back to Oregon...? Since the work he's doing isn't here, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to start a practice...*hint hint* You will be missed but where your family is, home is also, right?
-Alyssa

Hayley Hatch said...

Yay! How great that you know where you are going! It looks like we are moving just after our baby is born, so we are in the same boat there :) Good luck!
p.s. living in a smaller town has it's good things...like no traffic...

Jessie said...

It's going to be such a change from life in ghettoville! lol hey! I lived there (162nd) so i can say that! haha
We always thought an associateship is the best way to start out too (even though we didn't do one) The cool thing is that if the doctor has a non compete clause it wont matter since you might move from there after the 2 years. Good luck!

Dani said...

Go Idaho!! Sounds like a great opportunity. Yay for graduating too!

Cindy Thomas Munksgard said...

Good luck with your new adventure.

Kevin also graduated from chiro school on Dec 12th.

Nicole W. said...

SO weird that you're going to be GONE:(:(:( we'll miss you Amy!!!

Gordita said...

Congratulations to Jeff. And to you. I really enjoy reading your posts.

Unknown said...

Brad has a sister that lives in Post Falls. I really like the town. It has the same feeling of, and reminds me a lot of Bend. Coeur d'alene is just a few minutes away, with a ton of shops and a totally cute boardwalk. Actually, as I'm thinking about it, I'm completely jealous.:) You'll love it.