Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Loss

What is loss? Is it just when you lose something you can feel and touch, something tangible? Or can it also be when you lose an idea, a thought, a life plan, a dream? I have had a miscarriage. I figure since everyone knew we were pregnant I had better let it be known that we lost the baby so that down the road people aren't asking how the pregnancy is going - I don't know how I would handle that. Sunday I started spotting and cramping. Yesterday morning we went to the doctor to verify that it was in fact a miscarriage. My pregnancy with Porter went completely fine, except for the constant throwing up, so I never thought I would have problems with this pregnancy, which is why we had already told everyone. But as my doctor told me those many weeks I was throwing up with my first pregnancy and feeling miserable and not wanting to ever get pregnant again because of how awful I felt; every pregnancy is different.

When sad things happen someone may think "Why me?" Well, why not me? Obviously I have something to learn from this. Maybe it goes back to one of my goals of 2009 to learn patience. With this I am learning patience. The first month Jeff and I started trying to get pregnant it turned out that Jeff was in California while I was ovulating, so it didn't really work out. The day I got my period was the same day someone else had found out they were pregnant and they didn't even want to be pregnant. I totally cried because I did want to be pregnant but I wasn't. Patience - we had to wait another month. Well we ended up getting pregnant that next month, which was actually the exact timing of when I wanted to get pregnant because Porter would have been 2 1/2 when the baby was born and it would have worked out great for when Jeff was going to be done with school and we could move so that he could do a preceptorship somewhere. So everything was perfect and we were both totally excited. As the pregnancy progressed I braced myself for the same kind of nausea, puking and all over crappiness I felt with Porter to set in, but it never really did. I kept thinking that it was wonderful, joyous and too good to be true that I wasn't nearly as sick as I was before. Turns out it was too good to be true. I thought that I was 11 weeks along the other day, but at the ultrasound yesterday the doctors could see that the baby stopped growing at around 5-6 weeks. So perhaps it was because the baby had stopped growing and the pregnancy was no longer progressing that I wasn't feeling crappy during the peak crappy times, but who knows.

Now we are looking ahead to when we can start trying again, but the future looks a little daunting. When can we start trying? How many months of trying will we have to go through this time? Will there be another miscarriage? If the pregnancy does thankfully continue normally how sick will I be? Depending on when we get pregnant should we stay here for Jeff's intership or move to do a preceptorship somewhere and start over with a new doctor, having a new baby in a place where we don't know anyone or have any support? We don't even know where we will be moving, so should we just wait to start trying? But alas, I am asking too many questions and looking too much into the future. I just need to enjoy the now - enjoy my wonderfully supportive husband and enjoy the adorable and fun little boy that I have already been blessed with. The future does hold great things; I just need to be patient and appreciative.

In the meantime we are doing okay. I've had my crying breakdowns though. The future I had planned with my new little baby is no longer a possibility, at least not right now. My anticipation of my baby's arrival in July and my excitement to hold my new baby has been put on hold.

This may be more information than anyone wanted to know, or too personal to some people, but this is my way of documenting my life, my feelings. I decided to post everything here so that I can lay it all out and only have to tell my story once. I don't want to have to keep telling people what has happened, so this is all that I will say about it. Thank you for all of your support during this time.

18 comments:

MotherBeck said...

Oh Amy, I am so sorry for your loss. I know we aren't the closest of friends but please know that i am here for you if you ever want to talk or whatever. You will be in my prayers.

Gordita said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you for being so candid about your feelings. Just know that I care for you.

Alyssa Phair said...

I'm SOOOO sorry!! I wish I could say something more comforting but, really, no matter what anyone says this is something your family has to work through and it sounds like you're handling it the best you can. If you need anything let me know!
-Alyssa

Nicole W. said...

Amy..I am so sorry for your loss. I'm not sure if I told you this ( I think I did) but I had a miscarriage with my 2nd pregnancy too. I went to the temple and I'd love to share the experience I had there with you if you want to hear it. It brought me alot of peace.
6 mo's later Erika was concieved. Not sure why things happen they way they do. I'm not sure why I wasn't supposed to have a baby then, but I know Heavenly Father has a plan and He knows ALL things...so hopefully we can all find peace in that. And sometimes, at a later date, He even lets us see the purpose in our suffering. I Hope for that experience for you.
I love you. You are such a sweetheart.
I hope you'll find peace in prayer and good family and friends.
xoxo

Jessie said...

Amy, again, I am sorry for your loss and hope you know I am here if you ever need anything. We really enjoy having Porter over.

You are such a great example to me. You are so strong and I know you will be able to get through this trial. It's like you said, patience is something you will learn and its good that you are able to understand it that way. I hope that made sense? Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and feelings.

xoxo Jessie

Matthias and Jenn said...

Amy I am sorry. As you know I had a miscarriage as well. But just like Nicole I was pregnant with Aphia 6 months later. Of course you feel a loss. The baby was apart of you and of course you are entitled to feel all of the feelings. I cried for a good week and then off an on till December (I lost the baby in September). I think about my first baby a lot and am looking forward to meeting him in the eternities. I don't know if that helps in anyway but thank goodness for eternal families. Just hold tight to the gospel all of the answers are there. Love ya!

Unknown said...

I am so sad to hear about the loss of your baby. What a hard trial to go through. I had a miscarriage this past September and know how frustrating it can be with the whole timing issue added onto the loss. Just know that Heavenly Father is aware of you and your wants and needs. There is a quote from this past general conference that brought me a lot of comfort when I had my miscarriage, maybe it will give you some peace and insight too. Sorry it's kind of long:
"Learning to endure times of disappointment, suffering, and sorrow is part of our on-the-job training. These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are precisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character, and increase our compassion for others. Because Jesus Christ suffered greatly, He understands our suffering. He understands our grief. We experience hard things so that we too may have increased compassion and understanding for others."
-Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin

Please let us know if there is anything we can do, or if you just need a good talk.

Hayley Hatch said...

Amy,
I am so sorry. I don't know if you know this, but you and I are in the same boat. I had a miscarriage just before Thanksgiving. I know what it feels like to not know what's next...to be stressed out about Jeff finishing school and wondering how this will effect your plans. And to have your heart ache over an unborn baby. I have felt all those same things. I was (and still am somedays) so frustrated that it didn't workout according to my plans! But, I have to remember that somethings in life are very unplanned and very awesome...Logan, for example ;) Anyway, I want you to know that I am here to talk to (303 506 6293) anytime.Please feel free to call me. But, I will also give you your space because I know how it is to tell it over and over again. You and Jeff are in our prayers.

Cindy Thomas Munksgard said...

I cannot even imagine going through that! Kevin and I have been trying to get pregnant for five years now and the thought of having a miscarriage after we finally got pregnant would be absolutely devastating! What I've learned in these last five years...as hard as it has been...is that Heavenly Father has a plan for us and we might not understand it, but He does know what is best for us and we just have to trust that He knows what we need. It has taught me to be grateful for what I have...and that's my advice for you. You have a beautiful son and a husband who really loves you. You are blessed and when the Lord chooses to send another choice spirit to you then you will know that it's right. Hang in there!!! It will get better.

Linds said...

I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers. And I just want to say that I admire you for your strength. A lot of women keep a miscarriage to themselves, which is fine. But by letting all of us know, we can support you now. We can pray for you and be there for you. Love you and hope that you will be comforted.

Toshia said...

I don't even know what to say...everyone else has pretty much said it all. It sounds like your miscarriage was the same as mine--happened at 12 weeks, but baby measured the same as at 8 weeks. The loss is devastating... I hope you know you can call me if you ever need anything. I love you guys!

Living Green said...

I am so, so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in our prayers.
Love, The Greens

Holly Lujan said...

Amy I am so sorry. You are right that everything happens for a reason and I'm sure this experience will help you in some way. You will be in our prayers.

The Fullmers Four said...

Amy, I am so sorry. I don't even know what to say other than you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Please let me know if I can do any thing for you, even if it is watching Porter so that you can get some rest.

Daya said...

Amy I love you and I am so sorry for your loss. Please let me know what I can do to help.

Rendell said...

I am so sorry. You are certainly in our prayers. We LOVE you and your sweet little family. Let us know if we can do anything.

Katie said...

seriously so so sorry amy!! although i've never experienced that kind of pain, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. may you be blessed through this trial! xo katie teegarden

Laura Thompson said...

You guys, Bo and I were so sad when we found out. I'm so sorry. As we read your blog, we could totally identify with everything you were saying--with this and the "Seriously" entry. Know that we love you guys very much and we're praying for you.