Over the past year or so we have been cutting back on expenses and eliminating ones that aren't really needed. On that list of things that just were not really needed was our home phone. Now, we use Vonage so our bill is only $20 a month, but that is $20 that can go to something else. We both have cell phones, which we are stuck in a stupid contract with until the end of the year, so we've got to keep those. Plus being able to get in contact with people when we are out and about has turned into a necessity. The reason we got a home phone in the first place was because our old cell phones got crappy service in our apartment and we wanted a land line for safety reasons. But now we get great reception on our cell phones in our house and we have the work phone that's a landline, plus it has a second phone number on the phone that we could use for personal calls, it just rings in on the work phone as a double ring. So why, after having lived in the house for well over a year, do we still have the home phone? To be honest, it's just because I can't let go of our home phone number. We have had that number for over 3 years and everyone has it - friends, family, church, it's the number we put on all account stuff, etc. So I fear if we get rid of it that we will miss something important. Which is stupid because I can change our accounts to one of our cell phones, give our cell phone numbers to church, and all of our friends and family already have our cell numbers. So why can't I just let go and cancel it???Three months ago I got up the courage to call and cancel it, but the nice person at Vonage ended up giving us free service for 2 1/2 months - how could I pass that up? Well now we are being charged full price again. I even got the Vonage customer service number out and had the phone in my hand to call and cancel, but I totally chickened out, and that wasn't the first time. It's not like our phone number is the coolest number in the world and I don't want anyone else to have it, I just can't bare to part with it for some unknown reason. Perhaps this week I will get the courage to follow through with the cancellation...

8 comments:
You can do it!!! Life with out a home phone is nice. Just think, no more unwanted sales calls. plus extra $20 a month. $240 a year! Just think what you could do with that!
If you are really worried about missing something you can do what my parents did. After 15 years of the same phone number my parents got rid of their phone. They changed their answering machine message saying that they were cancelling their home number and could now be reached at these numbers. My mom said after a couple of weeks their land line stopped ringing (except for solicitors) and everyone had started calling the cells. Just an idea. I know you can do it!!
You should check out magicjack.com. I think you can transfer your phone number and it is only $20/year we have it and it is nice to have it for emergencies... just a thought.
For some bizarre reason, I completely understand. I have no way of explaining it, but I understand.
I'll be brave and be the one to say it...Weirdo!! I'm just kidding. I still feel sad knowing that the number I grew up with now belongs to some nobody out there. However, if you decide to have some sort of memorial service for the number, I'd be happy to supply some sort of plaque to assist in remembering it "properly".
Good luck in your decision. I'll be praying for you! ;)
I must agree with the first comment. Life without sales calls IS nice... however, you still have the office line and, I don't know about you, but I get sales calls ALL THE TIME on the work line. It's really annoying. Plus, we use the office number like a home phone occasionally anyway. But really, who NEEDS FOUR phone lines... Sometimes you just have to let go. OR you could see if that second number on the office line could be changed to your current home phone number??
-Alyssa
That is so funny. I have been trying to do the same thing for about 6 months. There seems to be security in a home phone.
You guys seem like you are doing great. I was suprised when I came across your blog. I hope all is well.
Is there a plan to just have a phone line...with no extras...no long distance...no call waiting...etc. That's what we have. It's like $15 a month.
Post a Comment