Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Baby update

I had another ultrasound and doctor appointment today. Unfortunately both the babies are breech. I'm a little sad about that because at my last appointment only Baby A was full on breech and I have been doing a lot of the "tricks" to get at least that baby to turn, but to no avail. At this point with a twin pregnancy there really isn't room left for the babies to be able to turn. Which means that I am going to have to have a c-section. I didn't handle the news too well because I was really hoping to be able to have my babies naturally. I won't be able to hold my babies right away or have Jeff cut the cords, plus I have never had any kind of real surgery before and the healing time will probably take longer, so all that kinda freaks me out. But I am having to come to terms with the idea of having a c-section so I'm trying to look at the bright side (some help on that would be much appreciated by anyone who has had a c-section). This also just means that I will have to have at least one more baby in order for me to have the ideal birthing that I have been wanting...but trust me, that will be far in the future :)

Another not so good thing is that Baby A is still pretty small. Baby A is estimated at weighing 3 lbs 4 oz (14%) while Baby B is estimated to be 4 lbs 5 oz (47%). The fluid in Baby A's sac is a little low too, so they will be monitoring that as well as her growth. As of right now we are scheduling the c-section for around 38 weeks, but if Baby A shows to still be small and not grow as well then they will probably do it sooner. I myself am feeling and doing pretty good, but to help with Baby A's growth and to increase the fluid in her sac I'm supposed to take it more easy. Knowing that I will have to have a c-section I have time to come to terms with that, but I still want the babies to stay in there as long as possible so I am focusing on taking it easy and making it to the 38 week mark.

Another sad thing they told me today was that due to H1N1 no young children are allowed to come into the delivery ward, and since I will be having a c-section I will be in the hospital for 3 days, which means that I won't get to see my Porter for 3 whole days. He's my little buddy and goes wherever I go so hearing that today got me all emotional too. Thank goodness for my awesome parents who will be able to be here to take care of Porter, and if we have a scheduled c-section then they can plan accordingly to be here when we leave for the hospital and I know he will be in good hands.

This is our little chunker, Baby B. Baby A wasn't positioned well to get a good view. The ultrasound tech has let us see the babies before in 3D but none of the shots were good enough until now to print something up because things are all squishy in there. Can't wait to meet you little girls!

9 comments:

Dani said...

That was a lot of hard news to take in, I'm sure, but knowing that your babies will come out healthy and the way they need to is the most important part. I know you know that. Good luck taking it easy and enjoy the last few weeks of Porter all to yourself. We will keep you and your babies in our prayers! Grow Baby A, grow!!

lynz said...

awww! sad about the c-section and so sad about porter, but i thank goodness for good parents :) good luck with taking it easy, and let me know if i can do anything to help! can't wait to meet these little girls!

Hayley Hatch said...

Hey Amy,
I am sorry to hear that it looks like you are going to have a c/section...I know this is not what you were wanting.
As far as not holding your babies right away...why not? From what I have seen, you can be with your babies (hold and breastfeed) as soon as you are back from your surgery - unless you go to a separate unit to recover. You may be a little out of it with the medication they give you, but that doesn't mean Jeff can't hold them up to you for some much needed/wanted skin to skin mommy time. (Also, ask your nurse about the "football" hold for breastfeeding - it's the best for patients who have had c/sections)
And tell the Dr that Jeff wants to cut the cord! If the Dr is willing, he can clamp it near the baby and then leave a longer part with hemostats at the end so that Jeff can still get the experience of cutting the cord, or cords I guess :)
You know what is really funny and ironic? We might deliver on the same day...I am probably going to be induced when I am 39 weeks, and you are 1 week behind me in your pregnancy so when I am 39 weeks, you will be 38 weeks...crazy, huh? Although making it to 38 weeks would be quite an accomplishment with twins!
I am sorry to hear that Porter might not be allowed in the OB unit. The hospital I work at has been really strict about restricting visitors in an effort to not spread the flu too. But, originally we were not going to allow children younger than 18 to visit and that has since changed - maybe (hopefully) it will change where you are delivering too?
Good luck these next couple of weeks. I am excited for you :)

Cindy Thomas Munksgard said...

I haven't had a C-section but I did have a fibroid removed which was like a c-section but with no baby. There is a little bit of recovery time but it really isn't too bad. Just make sure that someone is there to help you. My mom stayed with me for a week and I didn't have a baby. I hope to be able to someday have a child through natural birth but my doctor told me that I'll probably have to have C-sections. Hang in there. I hope things go well!!

Unknown said...

I had a semi-unplanned c-section with Kira. (meaning I knew ahead of time but only by 2 hours) Not my ideal birthing senario.
I recommend taking it easy, letting your mom do as much as possible, which is hard to to...but also getting up and walking as much as possible is important too... it's a hard thing to balance.
Also, ask the hospital if Jeff can stay with them while you are in recovery. Jacob got to stay with Kira the whole time I was away from her. (which was like an hour)
Good Luck and we'll be praying for you

Amy said...

Wow...I can't believe that! I'm glad at least the babies are healthy and you're feeling good! Good luck...

Lisa said...

Are you still seeing Dr. Drake? I have had 2 c-sections, and they aren't as bad as you think. You will definitely have to take it easy. But you are awake during the whole thing, so you will get to see the babies as soon as they are born. And I got to hold both my babies VERY soon after delivery. Call me and we will talk about it.215-233-0689, If I wrote everything I wanted to say it would take up all the room :) It really isn't bad. Atleast you can plan everything in advance!!! Good Luck!!

Linds said...

Oh shoot! It never seems to go like you planned. But you seem to have a good attitude about all of it. So that will get you through, you can do this. You are awesome!

Mia said...

I know it's not what you wanted, but it may go better than you think. The end result is two healthy little girls, right?! Jeff will totally be able to cut the cords (obviously not from you) but they will let him cut the longer cords off at the warming bed they go right to. Brian was able to cut Gavin's (not Brooklyn's because her's was an emergency c-section). You may heal very well afterwards. Luckily you will have mom to take care of you.
I know being away for Ports is going to be hard, but you are going to need to take care of you during that time. Get as much sleep as you can and you'll have the girls to yourself for only those 3 days before you get all 3 together for eternity!
Love you tons.
Keep us posted.