Friday, October 9, 2009

Little man

Ports has been a load of fun, and challenges, lately. Each new phase of his development brings on different parental learning experiences and challenges. For instance, he has always been a big talker, but now he has started with the constant questions. It's cute and fun to see the wheels in his brain turning, but at times it can be, shall we say, a tad annoying. Like when he keeps asking the same question over and over and I keep saying the same answer over and over. I eventually have to tell him to stop or just stop answering him.

And any little noise I make, like when I'm driving and a stupid person does something ridiculously lame (which happens a lot in Portland) he asks what happened, so I have to find some nice way to explain how idiotic that person was. He likes to know everything that is going on. Like if we are running errands I'll talk about where we are going and he'll keep asking "Then what?". He'll ask the same questions everyday too, like when the sun goes down where did it go, so then we have to explain it every day...of course we have shortened it. It has it's annoying times, like when he keeps repeating himself over and over, and over yet again, but it is pretty dang cute seeing him figure out the world.

When I give Porter a choice of something he'll always say, "Um, how about..." in a sing songy voice, repeated a few times until he decides what he wants. Lately he has also started this thing where he will talk gibberish to us. Fun. We just tell him that we will listen to him when he talks properly.

Something I never thought we would have to say to anyone but we've had to say it to Porter a few times recently is, "Take your hands out of your bum." But I guess it makes sense when you think about how they are still just trying to figure out their world and their body. Like when a boy, starting at a pretty young age, will automatically put his hands to his genitals the second they are naked, as if there is a magnet on their hands and their penis. Actually, I guess that doesn't really stop as they get older, ha ha!

But Porter is such a good helper. He listens pretty well when we ask him to do something and he loves "helping" me out whenever possible. He'll do great when the babies come...I hope. I love this little guy so much and have really been feeling the awesomeness that comes with being a parent lately. I love seeing his little face and watching him grow. The other day Jeff and I were talking about what a good boy Porter is and we are hoping, fingers crossed, that the girls are as good as he has been because if so then I feel more confident in our ability to handle two babies at once...now that we have an idea of what to expect.

3 comments:

Linds said...

Liza does the same thing with the questions about the day. If I let her she would go through a whole week of "What after that?" It drives me crazy!

Mia said...

I have the answer... When he asks the same question over an over, after you answer it 2 times you turn the question onto him. It makes him think about what you just told him and let's him think about alternative answers. That will stop the repeating hopefully. It's worked on my two.

And the hands down the pants will be a consistent annoyance. He's almost 4 and we still catch him when he doesn't think we're looking. Good luck with that.

Daya said...

What Mia said!! I do that with my kids too. They will ask the same thing over and over but after 2 times I ask them. Once they answer you they stop asking. It's amazing. Until they move on to the next question...