I'm kind of bummed right now. So I decided a few months back that I wanted to run a marathon. My sister, who lives in Connecticut, decided she wants to do it with me. She lives right by the New York City Marathon, which is hard to get into because so many people sign up and they are limited in space, so we will try for that marathon first (which is in November) and if we don't get into that one then we will do the Portland Marathon, which anyone can get into, and that one is in October. Anyway, I've been working to get into shape and to build my stamina with running. I have been trying to pay close attention to my body because I don't want to over train and wear myself out or hurt myself, so when I notice anything that doesn't feel right I try to remedy it right away. Well, in the past few weeks I noticed that my right knee hurt a little. Each time it hurt it was during my cool down when I was walking, but by then I had already been running on it for an hour straight. I kept trying to see if it hurt while I was running but it didn't. When it did hurt it was only for a little bit after I ran and by the time I got home from the gym and was eating breakfast it was fine. Well, the other day I ran for my hour and when I was cooling down I noticed that my right knee was hurting pretty bad. I actually started limping on the treadmill. So I finished and stretched real good, but then I went down the stairs to go to my car and it took all I could to keep walking and not fall down, and it kept hurting all morning. So I was getting kind of worried. I made an appointment at the WSCC clinic to have them look at it because I was not going to let some lame thing like this stop me from achieving my goal. All they really said was that my right knee cap was a little low which was probably pulling some muscles wrong. So I need to stretch out those areas to build up the strength and flexibility. She said I should be fine to run but that I should stop right away when I start to notice it hurting. I thought that wouldn't help because I never felt the pain until after I had already been running for over 5 miles. So I decided to take the rest of the week off from running. Well, I thought that my knee would get better, but it still hurts a little when I walk. I had to go upstairs yesterday and that was killing me too. I even had to run to catch Jeff before he left the other day and that was a bad idea. Because I want to still work out I have been doing pilates and working out my arms with weights. I also have been going on short walks with Porter, but I need to be careful. My knee even hurts when I do one of my pilates moves. Now I know that if we did the Portland Marathon I still have 7 months to train, but I was going to do a duathlon in June (Jeff will be doing the triathlon) and an 8k trail run in July as preparation for the marathon, and I only have three months to prepare. Long story short, I am bummed that I kind of have to put my training on hold until my knee gets better. The reason that my sister and I are doing it together is so that we can keep pushing and supporting each other, and it helps if you have someone to answer to. I don't want to run a marathon to win or anything, I just want to finish it. How crappy would that be if one of your life goals can't be accomplished because your stupid knee pooped out on you. Anyway, hopefully a few weeks of not running along with stretching out that leg will be all that my knee needs to repair itself. Here's hoping for that.
The Joy of Falling Behind
6 hours ago

6 comments:
Typically I don't support running marathons because I know how hard it is on the body. However, I know a lot of people have that as a goal and I do support setting and achieving goals, so I would hate for you to not have the opportunity to achieve this one. Chances are that if you just rest your knee, it will start hurting again when you go back to running. You have to figure out what the problem is and then do what you need to do to fix it - unfortunately, that usually includes more than just rest. The good news is that you probably don't need to just stop running for awhile. I don't usually offer up advice like this, but this is pretty much my area of expertise. If you want to chat about it, email me.
You are so good. The idea of a marathon sounds so good. But I don't think I could really do it. I hope that you can. Get that knee better, would ya?
Amy- that is crazy! Its hard when you have a goal and a stumbling block is put in your way, You are doing so good tho with your efforts to be healthy and fit! Don't give up, but give your knee a little rest. I will let you know when we will need to drop off Sophia :)
Jessie
aww.i'm so sorry to hear this...I also have knee problems or pain when I run...not really sure what the problem is, have never figured it out...I think this is the main reason I might not ever be able to do a marathon, which is also one of my dreams..
anyway...I REALLY hope you find out whats wrong...I agree with the first post, you need to find out what is wrong with it! my knee hurts EVERY time I run...and has been like that for years...
maybe see a doctor or physical therapist to make sure you're doing the correct exercises to fix it! will keep you in my prayers:)
Love Nicole
You know I remember feeling that pain that you described when I was a major basketball and soccer player. I went to the doc and they explained to me that womens legs are usually stronger on the lateral side of the thigh which pulls the knee cap toward the outside.Also womens ACLs are not very strong and are easy to injure. I think I would be very careful because knees can be hard to diagnose and recover. I would try icing it after work outs and I don't know if you are doing any sort of warm up but I would start out walking and gradually build into a run so that way you aren't going right into pounding it with running. Just a thought.
Okay, so when I signed up at the gym and I had my little personal training session I told them that my knees start to hurt after a while of running (like 4 weeks or so). They said to stop! What can happen is the little sac that holds the fluid that supports and absorbs the shock for your kneecaps can rupture! (Okay, Clinton started typing here): Once it has ruptured, it becomes very serious. Your body is trying to tell you that something is wrong. Most people who jog will have this sooner or later, especially when they run on a non-cushioned treadmill or on pavement/cement. When I first moved to Portland, I went jogging every day and before long, I was limping almost everywhere I went. The only way to avoid it is to stop jogging altogether, give your knees some time to heal, and start doing lower impact cardio such as elliptical machines or stationary bicycles. Also (this is a prety unconventional treatment), but go to the grocery store and buy a few packages of fruit pectin (used in making jams). At Walmart, its packaged in the baking goods as "Sure-Jell." I have no idea why, but taking it made my knees feel much better within a couple of days. I just mixed about two heaping tablespoons of the fruit pectin powder with about a tablespoon of lemon Crystal Lite. The pectin will form a gel at the bottom of the glass, but try to swish that into the drink as your drinking it so that you get it all down. Hopefully, this should help! (Okay, Clinton has finished typing now). Anyway, I know that it is hard to give up some goals (I've been there) but think of your long term goals...being able to walk and play with your kids. Anyway, I don't want to sound all-depressing; this is all up to you and I support you in whatever you do!
Talk to you later!
Post a Comment