Tuesday, October 14, 2008

10 year reunion

Last Saturday I had my 10 year high school reunion at the Decathlon Club in Santa Clara, CA. We had just been in Napa, CA a few weeks ago as a family, so for this trip we opted for just me to go, especially when we found out that the price to get in was $80 a person. So this was the first time that I left Porter for longer than a few hours. It was weird to be away from him. I missed my boys. I have always wanted to go to my 10 year reunion so even though money is of course tight, seeing as how we are living on a student's income, I knew I would regret not going. So my friend Jenni and I decided to go as dates since both of our husbands weren't going. Every one of my family members have moved away from the Bay Area, so I don't really have any reasons to go back there, which is a bit sad since that is where I grew up. So it was nice going back.

I of course couldn't go back to where I grew up without seeing the house that I grew up in. It's a little different from when I grew up since my parents did a few changes when they were getting ready to sell it, but this is the house. I was tempted to go and knock on the door to ask if I could have a look around since there are sooooo many memories from there, but then I decided they might think I was crazy and throw things at me - not a good way to have a last memory of the house I grew up in.


Here are some of my peeps from high school: Jenni, Erin, Ha, Norane and Val.


Afterwords we met up with our friend Jessica who was too cool to go to the reunion: Val, Jessica, Jenni, me & Erin.


While in CA I stayed with my friend Gisella in San Jose - she didn't go to high school with me but she did come to my senior prom with a friend of mine. We met at my very first job working at Century Cinema 16 when I turned 16 - so many memories.


I went there thinking that I would take a ton of pictures, but sadly I didn't. Not that many people showed up but it was good to see those who did. It was weird going back there. I haven't lived in that area since I was 21. Being there made me reflect on the last 10 years of my life, and I've got to say that I am pretty happy with how things turned out. I have an awesome husband and an absolutely adorable son who love me, and my family who has been there and supported me through everything. At the reunion I was given this time capsule thing where I had answered some questions when I was 18 about where I thought I would be in 10 years. I said I would be married to a good mormon boy (check), have 3 kids (1/3 of the way there), have my bachelors degree (check), and be a CIA or FBI agent (not quite). I had also written a message to myself and in it I said to not worry because everything will be okay in the end, just don't give up or quit on anything, and remember that my family is there and they love me - in retrospect I find that to be an interesting message that I wrote to myself because there was a lot going on in my life at that time that made me worry a little about my future. At the reunion they gave me another form which asks where I think I will be ten year from now when I am 38. I hope to have 4 kids by then, be completely out of debt, have plenty of money to meet my needs so that I have no need to worry, have the body of a bikini model (hey, why not), be able to travel and show my kids the world, and not be working so that I have time to be the awesome rockstar mom and wife I have always wanted to be.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy, reading this got me a little teary eyed!! Maybe we had a lot of simlilar experiences in High School or something! I left Nova Scotia when I was 20 and I also was a rebel haha but deep down I knew what I ultimately wanted and I too am SO happy with the way my life has turned out so far. Fun that you got to go, how bad did you miss Porter??

Anonymous said...

opps, GVIL is Greenwood Village (I was logged in my work email) Its Jessie!

Linds said...

So fun! My ten year reunion is going to be this summer. I really want to go. It sounds like so much fun!!

Jenni said...

Hello!?! You went by your old house and couldn't drive around the corner to pop in and say hi? So fun that you got to come back, but really, let me know the next time you come into town! I would love to see you!

Matthias and Jenn said...

Woo Hoo! Way to go Amy. It's hard to look the future with a lot of stuff going on. But I think everything turns out the way it's suppose to in the end. I am still aways away from my 10 year reunion but I look forward to going.

Joshua and Joy said...

That's so cool that you got to go to your high school reunion. I really wanted to go to mine, but it happened to be 2 weeks after we moved to Colorado and I couldn't afford to come back to OR for it. Mine was $75.00. A few of my friends when and had fun...I'm stilled bummed that I missed it.