Sunday, December 14, 2008

Woo hoo, snow day!

Coming from California I haven't been exposed to too much snow - only when I would go skiing or visit family in Utah. But for the past three plus years that we have lived in Oregon it has snowed at least once each year, now it wouldn't always stay on the ground for too long, but it is still exciting none the less. So as this weekend approached they kept warning of a cold front coming and the possibility of snow. Well we wake up this morning and lo and behold there is snow. Now I still get ready and go to church, thinking nothing of it, just driving slower. Today we were having the Christmas program during Sunday School where I was playing for the choir to sing three songs and I was conducting the Primary in 2 songs, then there was choir practice after church (we are performing again next week), we had tithing settlement later this afternoon then I had a Primary meeting this evening, so it was supposed to be a busy day. Well, the Sacrament was passed and the youth speaker spoke, then the Bishop got up and announced that they were going to ere on the side of caution and cancel the rest of church, but before we had the closing prayer the choir performed one of their songs as the closing hymn. We had a very quick version of tithing settlement and of the Primary meeting, then we went home. That was it. My busy Sunday was all done before 10am. Then I was able to come home and just chill with my family, as well as take a much needed nap. Jeff's school was even canceled for tomorrow, which was kind of nice for him because there was a huge test tomorrow that is now postponed. It's just funny how everything closes because of a little snow. If we were in Utah this would just be business as usual. Oh well, Oregonians for some reason don't drive well in rain so you can only imagine how they would drive in snow. So it was a very relaxing Sunday - my favorite!

The view out our front door.


It was pretty windy and our backyard is kind of enclosed so there wasn't as much snow or wind back there, so Porter was able to tolerate it.

Funny incident - during dinner we were talking about how we think Porter is a smart kid, not overly genius or anything but not dumb as a doorknob, then we turn to him and see that he is trying to shove his spoon up his nose - so precious.

5 comments:

Jeff and Amy said...

I, Jeff, am commenting first just to break the tradition. It is always the same couple friends of ours that comment first. I appreciate your checking our lives out...I am just trying to change it up.

ProudPapa said...

Does Portland have a snow plow?

Linds said...

Holy cow, that's a lot of snow! Oh, I'm not sad I missed it, not one little bit. Enjoy the freezing weather. I'll stay here with the 70 weather.

Alyssa Phair said...

Isn't the snow fun?! And I was cracking up reading about Porter and his genius-ness... hahaha sounds like a conversation that would totally happen at our house except Amelia would probably put a fork in her eye!

Matthias and Jenn said...

I laughed out loud at the last paragraph. That is hilarious. I bought Aphia some spoons and forks the other day. I put them in her drawer and she plays with them. Well she brought a fork to me the other day and just playing around I ran it through her hair. Now every time she has a spoon or a fork she runs it through her hair. uh oh!