So the week and a half before Christmas, Portland had a big snow storm, and no one was prepared for it. The first couple of days it was fun, then it just got old. Jeff had finals that first week of the storm, but his school was canceled everyday but one, so everyone will have to make that up the first few weeks of next quarter. Since we couldn't really go anywhere Jeff got major cabin fever, but I was fine to stay inside because I don't really have good snow gear, so I just get wet and cold. We went outside anyway to run some errands on one of the days when the mayor was even suggesting that people don't leave their homes unless they absolutely have to. On the night of one of the really bad storms where the stinkin wind was blowing like nobody's business and the snow was constantly coming down, we went out to hang out with some friends, but we had to put our chains on first. We couldn't see very well because snow was being blown everywhere and ice kept building up on the windshield wipers. By the time we got home their was a pretty big snow drift in our driveway and we completely underestimated it's size, so we gunned it to get into the driveway and totally broke one of our chains. Jeff was able to temporarily fix it so that we were able to buy new ones a few days later. Since the whole city basically had shut down flights were canceled, so we were worried we wouldn't be able to fly out to California for Christmas. But by Christmas day things were calmed down. Anyway, here's pics of our snow overload.




See the snow behind Porter on the window?



After digging our car in the parking lot out.

To dig out the office we had to just pile the snow somewhere.
After all of that fun cold, wet, sunless, windy weather, we go to California where the weather is absolutely wonderful. I have been loving it!! I am actually able to get vitamin D without having to take a supplement...imagine that. And I can actually take Porter to the park during winter - that does not happen in Portland. So we have been going to the park at least once a day here, and we are even wearing short sleeved shirts! I am a little sad to be going back to cloudy, wet, windy, cold weather. Here I just want to be out and about in the wonderful sun. When I think of home I think of cloudy dreariness and at home I never want to go outside. I need sun to thrive, and with our lack of a summer this year (okay, we had a summer, but it just felt very, very, very short) I am not liking Portland. I am already counting down to when Jeff finishes school because that means I will never have to work again (he promised), but it also means that we will be leaving Portland! Now, I have appreciated living in Portland because the city does have a lot to offer and I have met some great people here, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't living in the ghetto. Ok, I need to stop complaining because it is bringing me down, and no one likes to hear complaining. But I think you get my point.
3 comments:
Well, if you do move to Utah then you will definately be thriving!!! When I moved there from Nova Scotia, I couldn't believe how many sunny days they had year round :)
I'm glad you got to fly out!
Oh my gosh!!! You guys seriously got dumped. Oh, I'm so not sad that I missed it. I am loving the sunshine here too. They girls play in the back yard ALL THE TIME!!
Whiner!!!! Ok no I agree with you but since I have lived here my whole life I don't really think about the weather much anymore. It does suck that summer only really lasts for like two months. I will be sad to see you guys go, so stop counting down the days.
Post a Comment