Thursday, September 3, 2009

Can we say wuss??

So I had a doctor appointment yesterday which also included by glucose test to test for gestational diabetes. I drank that awesome glucose drink and had to have my blood taken exactly 60 minutes after I finished it. I made sure to get someone to watch Porter because a few months ago when I had blood taken I almost passed out and had to lay down - thank goodness Jeff was with me that time so he could be with Porter. But this time Jeff had school. So I went in and reminded the lady taking my blood that I don't do well with blood being taken. This time she had me lay down to draw my blood. While she was doing it we were chatting and she said that after some research she found out that it's not always just in the person's head when they pass out when blood is taken. There's an actual reason that some people have trouble - of course I can't remember what that reason was. But that made me feel better. Well, she took my blood, I felt pretty good, so I went out to the waiting room to wait to meet with my doc. I was so dang proud of myself for having no problem this time.

While in the waiting room I started reading my book. Then I began to feel a little off, so I switched seats to a more comfortable chair where I could lay my head back. Normally my doc is running behind so I thought I would have plenty of time to sit there and feel better. No such luck - the nurse called me right then. I stood up and walked towards her, then told her I wasn't feeling too well and that I had just had my blood taken. She had me sit down right away - good call on her part. As I was sitting there it just got worse and worse. I asked her for some water and she called to someone to get me some juice - she didn't want to leave my side. It came and I took a sip, but I kept feeling worse. I don't quite remember much, but my nurse then called more nurses in and I know someone took my juice. I asked to lay down but I was still in the waiting room so my nurse held me up and said she had me and not to worry. She kept reminding me to breath. I kept getting worse - it was the weirdest feeling, I've never felt this bad. I had no control and I felt like I was losing myself. I was surrounded by nurses, my nurse had asked for the "blue bag" and I could feel that I was totally sweating. Very attractive, eh? I heard someone say something about the smelling salt but my nurse said to wait a second because I may not need it. After what seemed like forever I finally started to feel a little better and saw a light at the end of this embarrassing tunnel. One by one the nurses left and it was just me and my nurse.

I had to sit there for awhile longer until I could walk to the back. While we were waiting my nurse told me that my eyes had rolled into my head, the color left my face, then she gave me a towel so that I could wipe the sweat off and I was given my juice back. Finally we were able to go to the back. Apparently this happens to people more often then I thought, especially when they have to drink that stupid glucose drink. So I accept that I am a wuss, but at least I have comfort in knowing that I'm not the only one. But you can see why I never donate blood, which kinda sucks because I have the rarest blood type. And I'm okay when I get shots, in fact at the end of my appointment I had to get the shot you get when you are rh-, and I was totally fine with that. So here's to my wussiness! At least I don't have to have blood taken again for awhile...hopefully.

4 comments:

MotherBeck said...

you are NOT a wuss! That is scary! I am glad you are ok now. That had to be just awful!!

Linds said...

That is scary, glad you were still in the office with a lot of nurses there to help you. Yikes!

Allison said...

Yeah, I'm with Becki, you're totally not a wuss! I failed my regular glucose test when I was pregnant with Ellie and had to have the 3 hour one, and I passed out during that. Not fun. It happens. And nurses are awesome! Good thing you were surrounded by them!

ProudPapa said...

Yeah, you're a wuss. You get it from me. When I reported that your mother's water had broken (Mom's miscarriage) and the doctor acted concerned, I couldn't wait for him to stop talking so I could hang up and lie down. I then went into major shock. Mom sat on the edge of the bed and said, "I'm scared." I lay there and couldn't even lift my head or arms off the bed and said, "It's OK, Honey. Everthing's going to be find."

I've got a few other similar stories, but I won't fill up the space here.