Monday, January 17, 2011

Cleaning is futile

I like a clean house. When my environment is clean and orderly I can think clearly. It's such a wonderful feeling walking into a clean house. Maybe I'm a little weird for finding great enjoyment in a clean home, but I'm not OCD . Jeff may have thought I was, but having kids messed that up. Let's face it, with kids (and husbands, ha ha) it's impossible to always have a clean home, so might as well accept that.

But I want a wonderfully clean home, darn it! Or is it simply just futile until the kids move out? Let me share what happened the other day. The kids were napping, so I had about 2 hours to myself. Actually, as most mothers know, when you get time like this it's not like it's free time where I can do whatever the heck my heart desires. I wish! It's more like doing whatever I can to catch up and plan ahead for what's next in the day. Meaning that I'm cleaning, organizing, cooking, crying in the corner, regaining my sanity, etc. So for these few hours I decided to clean the kitchen, which I do find pretty therapeutic. Last on the clean kitchen list were the floors. Our vinyl flooring spreads from the kitchen, through a little hallway that leads to the garage, and into our half bath. There's also vinyl in the entry area so I always just clean that at the same time. On a daily basis I sweep the kitchen floors and spot mop, meaning that I just scrub dirty spots with cleaner and a cloth. But on this day I wanted to do the full on cleaning - it had been a while. I moved everything out of the kitchen, meticulous swept the floor, spot mopped the dirtier areas, regular mopped the whole floor, then did round 2 of mopping the whole floor. It was beautiful. I stood back and enjoyed my so-clean-I-would-eat-off-them floors.

Then I got the kids up and we ran some errands. Before getting in the car to come back home I stepped in some dirty snow, not thinking much about it. Well, when I got home and got everyone in the house Jeff had noticed some dirty shoe prints on the carpet, which I had just vacuumed. My first thought was it must be Jeff (he he), but then I noticed it was from me and realized that before I had gone into the living room I had gone into the kitchen. Sure enough, the floor was dirty where I had walked. Great. I wiped it down, determined to keep my floors clean as long as possible, then got to work making dinner. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but dinner at our house ends up with dirty counters, a nasty table, dirty high chairs, and some kind of food on the floor, and this day was no exception. So after the hustle and bustle of dinner was over and the kids and husband were cleared out of the kitchen I looked around at the war zone that just a few hours before had been a spotless sanctuary. Sigh. Better get to work. I do love my "job" and am truly grateful to have it, but it is definitely a 24/7 gig. Thus is the life of a housewife.

5 comments:

Alyssa Phair said...

I agree with you in every way! A messy house drives me crazy so unfortunately Kevin has to deal with my wrath/insanity more often then not since he is regularly home. I have also noticed the "clean" means something different to everyone... I spent one evening a couple of weeks ago while the kids were in bed and Kevin was at a meeting scrubbing my kitchen, dining, and entry floors. They were spotless. Within a day, they were gross again. It's quite frustrating but I just remind myself that there is no point in having a clean empty home (the only way it would stay that way). I'd rather have a dirtier occupied home even if it means a little (or a lot of) extra work!

Amy said...

So true! The part about crying in the corner goes for me too, :o) My husband has a much higher tolerance for mess and dirt than I do, he just doesn't see it. This also means he has no clue how much I do all day for five kids and a husband.

Mia said...

Amen Sister!
Here's my rule of thumb, I'll pass along...
"It's okay to have a messy house, but not a dirty house."
I figure I could walk around all day and pick things up, but why bother when it will end up 2 feet away from the first place it landed. As long as my floors are clean, vacumed and dirt free, it's free game until the end of the day.

Jessie said...

I like a clean house too, I can't stand CLUTTER!! I was watching Oprah the other day and she had that Peter guy who wrote a de cluttering book on there talking about how flat surfaces are meant to stay clear and othing should be on them. Right after the show I cleaned and cleared off everything that was on top of my fridge! The clutter had been bugging me for a while. It felt so good!!

Michelle said...

A friend of mine said that cleaning the house when the children are home, is like trying to brush your teeth while eating Oreos. I will NEVER forget that.