Lately my kids haven't been feeling well, which is weird because when Porter was a baby he never got sick, except for getting croup right before he turned 2 and that lasted not even a day. But after the girls were born they all have been sick a few times. I'm even nursing the girls longer than I did with Porter to help build up their immune systems, and we eat pretty dang healthy so I don't know what's up. Anyway, the kids have been a little under the weather. Hasn't been too bad though, I have to say. Their little bodies are doing well at fighting this sickness and they don't seem too bad - I credit that to the awesomeness of upper cervical. A few weeks ago Simone did have a fever and she seemed pretty miserable, but I think that was something different and the other kids have not been nearly that bad.
The point of this post is as follows: The other day the girls (mostly just Scarlet) were kind of cranky all day. Didn't have fevers, just some snotty noses, a little coughing and wanting to be held more. All of that is normal, considering. Then the night came. I put them to bed normally thinking all was good. Went about my evening and got ready for bed. A few hours after I had put them to bed Scarlet starts crying uncontrollably, so I go in and nurse her again, put her back to bed, leave and go to bed. Not long after that one of them cries, go nurse again, go back to bed. Then another one cries. It kept going all night - one or both of them would be crying so I would go in and nurse to calm them down, they would seem fine so I would go to bed. They still didn't have fevers or anything, I think they were just achy and wanted some love. I'm all about giving my kids love, especially when they don't feel well, but come on, a woman's got to sleep!! On a normal basis they never wake up in the middle of the night so I know if they are crying that something's wrong. I would even wait a few minutes to see if they would calm down. No such luck. And sometimes if one would be crying I would sneak in and try to just pick up that one, then the other one would notice I was there and want to be held too. And because I was nursing more than I was used to my nipples were starting to hurt (TMI, I know.) I was having flashbacks to when they were newborns, and it wasn't pretty!! I am a person who needs a lot of sleep, so this was no picnic for me. I was remembering back to right after the girls were born and how emotional, helpless, useless, and mental I was because of the lack of sleep I was getting caused by always having to get up to be with one of the babies. It was a nice little reminder of why I am soooo not ready to get pregnant again anytime soon, if at all. I dearly love my kids, but being pregnant and then having a newborn is very challenging, especially when you already have other kids to take care of. Then there's also the process of trying to get my body back after giving birth. And since I've had twins once there is that possibility of me having them again - yikes! My heart goes out to any new mothers out there because I know what you are going through right now - my girls were kind enough to remind me of that. It's a good thing babies are so darn lovable and cute!
The Joy of Falling Behind
6 hours ago

2 comments:
Oh Amy I'm sorry you are/were having a tough time. I know how you feel in regards to sleep. I need it too. Maybe the girls were just going through a growth spurt. It may be a little early, but Brooklyn complains of her legs hurting her bad around bedtime. It started when she was about 4. I read it was her little bones growing. I can imagine how that would hurt. And it only happened at night time. I hope things are better. Give kisses to the kids for us.
Hope the sleep situation improves quickly and returns to normal. I so know how that feels and empathize.
Post a Comment