Friday, January 28, 2011

Enjoy each moment

The other night Jeff and I experienced the scariest moment of our lives, and we hope it won't ever be repeated. I won't go into details, for one because it was a very personal experience for us, and two because I don't want to have to relive those moments more than I need to. My purpose for this post is mainly to remind myself to enjoy each moment. Family is super important to me, as for most people, but sometimes I get caught up in the daily life tasks of cooking, cleaning, callings, activities, paying bills, worrying about the future, etc. that I don't focus on the importance of what's going on right now, what's right in front of me: my kids, my family. Sometimes I get frustrated or annoyed with my kids, as do most moms, or I get overwhelmed with all the house stuff, feeling like I need to be supermom/super housewife. But being faced with the very real possibility of losing a child has opened up my eyes. Kids are so little and fragile and they grow up so quickly. More important than having a clean house, or the most extravagant meal, or being involved in tons of activities, is enjoying my kids, playing with them, loving them, hugging them, just being with them. You never know when they might not be here anymore. I am grateful to have the knowledge of the Gospel in my life and for our temple sealing which allows me to be with my family for eternity. Knowing that no matter what happens I will still get to see all of my children some day would make things a tiny bit easier if something did happen, but I'm selfish and am not ready to let go of them yet. I find myself now making more of a point to play with my kids and also to just sitting back and notice all of the little quirks of each child and really taking things in. Every moment is a special moment. But everyone is doing OK, just a little sleep deprived.

2 comments:

Shaun and Lindsey Reynolds said...

Love this picture! Your kids are so cute and getting so big.

Micah and Ahnica said...

I love the post. We are so happy for you guys that you are so strong in the gospel and have such a wonderful loving family. It's the perspective that our families make up the difference for all of life's not-so-fun experiences that brings us hope. Of course, that hope comes from someone, who we know has given His life so that we can enjoy ours (together forever). If we were close, we'd come by and give you all hugs. Take care amigos.